A Few Fossils Need Names ;d

ShadowElite951

I have a few fossils in my collection that I have no idea what they are. I'll try my best to give good photos in info of the region they're from. I'd rather have the "OH! That is a such n such thing species" felling than "Errgh, to be honest I have no idea what that is". :D I appreciate the help and if you need more photos please let me know.

A. First is a femur looking bone. A science teacher gave it to me and said he dug it up from a Texas mine. He didn't know what species or animal it came from. It looks like a post-dino fossil to me.

th_bone1.pngth_bone2.pngth_bone3.png

B. A fish. I have no idea where it came from. It was a gift from a paleoart commission. I know the vendor where this came from and he mostly sells things from Montana. If no ID is found I'll ask him next April. Kinda looks like a cyprinid fish, the scales are pretty well preserved.

th_fishy1.png

C. Are these trees/ferns? I collected them from northeastern PA and they were found with shells and crinoid stems. I have quite a few of these specimens.

th_thing1.pngth_thing2.pngth_thing3.pngth_thing4.png

Guest solius symbiosus

I have no ideal about the first two, but the last is a Calamites sp. A type of sphenopsid. Though, the one side is different(the first). Im thinking that you have two different specie.

I have no ideal about the first two, but the last is a Calamites sp. A type of sphenopsid. Though, the one side is different(the first). Im thinking that you have two different specie.

Can't argue with that, thank you! ^_^

your "femur" looking bone probably came from further down the leg, like the proximal end of a metacarpal. guessing as to what it's from is risky with that small of a piece of the bone, and particularly without a ruler or something next to it and more views (back, end, etc.) you are correct in saying it's post-dino times, but unless you can find out where the mine was, all that can be said is "perhaps pleistocene" if the bone is well mineralized and heavy.

I agree to the specimen number 1 and number 3, I say calamites, vertical sides separated by a node closer to the arthrophyta (articulated) genus calamites for specimen number 2 can be a trunk or a stem of fern finely serrated, for specimen number 4 I recognize the paths between the coast probably sigillaire,genus form syringodendron (decorticated )

these plants are common in the coalfields of Europe and the North American continent, level Pennsylvanian

best regards

bruno