Some Cretaceous Limestone Standouts, Not Even Sure If They Are Fossils

Beekeeper

I got in a nice sunset hunt last night. Heavy rain has washed a little of my hilltop spot away and I found some good stuff... A beautiful scallorn point, some 19th century glass, some shells, and a few unidentified things that caught my eye. They all either just looked out of place or appeared to have some form. Some might just be weathered rock. These were all found in Burnet County, Texas on the Eastern Edwards Plateau. I found a snapped stalactite base in this same formation so there might have been a cavern at some point at this spot. Thanks for looking.

post-12770-0-74430800-1385052233_thumb.jpg

post-12770-0-86935000-1385052408_thumb.jpg

I find these all over. Not sure what they are. (Sorry for the large pics & multiple replies, I'm posting remotely & can't resize the pics.)

post-12770-0-52982800-1385052651_thumb.jpg

1 looks like weathered limestone, possibly from a cave feature

2 looks like a piece of ammonite

3 is a bone but not a clue to what

I agree with the above and nice point, for sure would look for some more----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Not sure what the irregular trio is, but the partial ammonite may be an Engonceras sp. However, I don't see the large lobed sutures typical of the genus on your fragment, so it may be one of the other Albian aged ammonites in the area. The "bone" looking thing doesn't really look like bone to me...a lot of broken burrow casts in the local geology can imitate bones. Additional photos could provide more info.

Looks like a varied and interesting hunt. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Archived