Found Some Nice Megs Today

Ramo

In my effort to fly from Kansas City to New Hampshire where I am currently working. I planned on flying Friday through Chicago and on to NH that night. Unfortunately last night I found myself in Washington DC. I am currently waiting on my next flight from here to NH that was scheduled to leave at a little after 10:00pm and now it's saying 11:36pm. Anyways today I hopped on a bus and went down to the Natural History Museum and took a couple photos I thought I'd share.

post-40-1230514899_thumb.jpg

post-40-1230514973_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Great find. Articulated even!!

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

I assume you're cooling your heels at Reagan National; not much fun, but there are worse airports to be stuck in.

May the rest of your journey be comfortable :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
In my effort to fly from Kansas City to New Hampshire where I am currently working. I planned on flying Friday through Chicago and on to NH that night. Unfortunately last night I found myself in Washington DC. I am currently waiting on my next flight from here to NH that was scheduled to leave at a little after 10:00pm and now it's saying 11:36pm. Anyways today I hopped on a bus and went down to the Natural History Museum and took a couple photos I thought I'd share.

wait whats wrong with DC!!!!

Well, I finally made it back to work. Here are a couple more photos. I was also going to mention to our "Bird-Banding Guru" that I noticed some of the sparrows outside the Museum were banded. They were eating popcorn, and practically tame. I should have gotten a picture. The birds I could ID there were pigeons, starlings, and house (english) sparrows. The banded birds looked a lot like house sparrows, but they didn't have as much gray coloration.

post-40-1230580459_thumb.jpg

post-40-1230580656_thumb.jpg

-Aldo Leopold

...The birds I could ID there were pigeons, starlings, and house (english) sparrows. The banded birds looked a lot like house sparrows, but they didn't have as much gray coloration.

The technical term for all the above is "hawk food". B)

If the sparrows were color-banded (colored plastic vs. FWS aluminum bands), they were House Sparrows. There's a population study going on downtown.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest Nicholas

:faint:

I wish I could have gone, I was in awe by the fairly simple articulated Mastodon at the Falls of the Ohio building.. I would have gone nuts in that place.

:faint:

I wish I could have gone, I was in awe by the fairly simple articulated Mastodon at the Falls of the Ohio building.. I would have gone nuts in that place.

Come on down, Nick! We'll have a museum tour party :)

They were colored bands. I didn't think they looked quite like house sparrows though.

The most impressive fossil I thought was the giant Ground sloth. Those arm and leg bones were massive!! I bet that thing stood 12-15 feet high! Unfortunately the photos of it didn't show up very well.

post-40-1230587857_thumb.jpg

post-40-1230587872_thumb.jpg

-Aldo Leopold

Sounds great to me! I Adore museums!

Just say when :)

(I can give you that box of stuff that I never got around to mailing :blush: , if I can find it...)