Found This Skull Today In North Texas...mosasaur?

John S.

Found this in the middle of plano, TX today. Could this be a mosasaur? Platecarpus?

post-13580-0-92461200-1385265651_thumb.jpg

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

Wow! Definitely a mosasaur! What a cool find; I hope you were able to jacket it properly and save it.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

The more I look at it the more outstanding it becomes...especially in Texas. It could be more like a Plioplatecarpus or something more uncommon (it didn't have many teeth). I would send the photos to Mike Everhart to get a better opinion. Again, I hope you have jacketed the find with plaster and removed it before more rain and erosion occur. :)

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Awesome guys thanks a lot! I scoped this spot out and found it in the first 15 min. Who would have thought right in the middle of busy plano, tx

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

That is a super find, be very careful removing it, possible the lower jaw could be under the skull, also look around the area for more of this guy, just maybe? This for most people is a once in a lifetime find so be sooooo careful removing it -----Tom

Edited by Foshunter

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

What a nice find! It does look like the lower jaws are present as the skull is inverted. Congrats on a nice find again. Make sure you get some help from some professionals to jacket that specimen. You wont regret having a slow excavation and a trophy mantle fossil for years.

My Flickr Page of My Collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79424101@N00/sets

John

Fantastic find. Good luck with excavating.

I've no idea how you go about jacketing something like that but i would be interested in finding out.

Nick

Congratulations on the find of a lifetime.

Take lots of time to remove and prep this find. Oh yeah, take lots of pics, too, as you progress. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Like you said, right in the middle of Plano. You never know where you'll find something spectacular.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

I don't mean to throw a wrench into the mix of this awesome find, but did you find it on private land? If so, be sure to get owners written permission to remove it. If on city, county, state or federal land you will need to contact someone for removal. It is a vertebrate fossil and can not be legally collected from some lands. Be sure to check it out completely.

That said, if you are unsure how to remove it, get someone who has experience in jacketing, plotting and taking all of the valuable information. Again a fantastic find, but be careful.

Jim

Old Dead Things

I agree with others fantastic find that needs extremely careful handling and recording I would contact an expert for advice and help with this , the site will need recording for future reference and investigation , congratulations and thank you for posting this, well done :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

best regards Chris

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

exemplary find. get it jacketed fast if you want to make sure you (or your institution of choice) remain in control of it. be careful not to say more publically about the locality.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Volunteers are doing prep work on a mosasaur found in Garland for display at the Heard Museum in McKinney. The property owner where it was found contacted Rocky Manning, president of Dallas Paleontological and director of our Fossil Bureau of Identification who assembled a team to excavate and jacket it for removal. This is huge job you should not try on your own. Unless you have a lot of experience, possibly important information could be lost by removing it without good practices, so please call someone. You can leave a message for Rocky at 817-355-4693.

Super nice. One of the coolest things I've seen on here in a while. Glad you found it before it eroded any more. That is a fantastic find!

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold