Found This Skull Today In North Texas...mosasaur?

John S.

"So it okay to collect vertebrates as well as invertebrates? So let's say for argument sake this newly found skull is connected to 30 feet of vertebrae, can it be legally collected?"

I think that the laws concerning vertebrate collection are not concerned with the collection of vertebral bones and more concerned with the collection of VERTEBRATE fossils as a whole ;)

Yes, I agree....... "Vertebrate" fossils ( whole or in part ) as opposed to "Invertebrate" fossils. We have the same distinction in British Columbia with regard to collecting. No "vertebrate" skeletal material.

The only restrictions in Texas have nothing to do with whether the fossil is a vertebrate. Also there are some situations where you can collect on private property without permission, but it gives collectors a bad name when we take something large that requires excavation or has significant value. If this were an important Mosasaur a paleontologist associated with a museum or university should contact the property owner. This would assure better security and might make access easier. If it's on a road right-of-way there are typically no regulations but if it's a major excavation, you should tell the controlling authority what you plan for safety reasons.

This is a good resource but only for BLM land. There is almost no BLM land in Texas because when Texas was annexed all of the public land was owned by the state and that didn't change with annexation.

Edited by BobWill

I can only echo the others, John S. Please get someone knowledgable involved in recovering this fossil intact - if it isn't done exactly the right way, all you'll have will be a handfull of bone splinters.

Rich

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

If you go to this website under the natural resources code, It appears pretty clear what the regulation is regarding collecting fossils on Texas State owned lands.

Regards

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/parkinfo/rules_and_regulations/

Also a good resource but only for state parks. You can't pick up a dead fly in a state park but they represent a small portion of state owned lands. There are also some federal controlled areas in Texas like National Forests, National Parks and Corps of Engineers controlled areas, and I'm guessing the new regulations will allow some collecting on all but the parks.

Also a good resource but only for state parks. You can't pick up a dead fly in a state park but they represent a small portion of state owned lands. There are also some federal controlled areas in Texas like National Forests, National Parks and Corps of Engineers controlled areas, and I'm guessing the new regulations will allow some collecting on all but the parks.

Bob,

My interpretation of any land is is not just referring to parks. Am I wrong? Anyone else with some clarification?

that are located in, on, or under the surface of any land belonging to the State of Texas or to any county, city, or political subdivision of the state are state archeological landmarks and are eligible for designation.

So jealous...congratulations! Fossil hunting has been on the back burner for me for a little while, but you have inspired me to get back out there!

• 2 weeks later...

Bob,

My interpretation of any land is is not just referring to parks. Am I wrong? Anyone else with some clarification?

that are located in, on, or under the surface of any land belonging to the State of Texas or to any county, city, or political subdivision of the state are state archeological landmarks and are eligible for designation.

Any land belonging to the state of Texas. Private property is still private property.

Congrats on a very cool find! Major finds get very complicated, found on private or public land. Good luck with your dig.

Chelebele

Any land belonging to the state of Texas. Private property is still private property.

I believe that law is for artifacts, not fossils. Texas is very strict about archeological remains. Also in Texas privately owned creeks and rivers are open for most activities if they qualify as "navigable waterways" by the Corps of Engineers, which means averaging at least 30 feet bank to bank. That law has been upheld in court but sometimes it can be risky.

edit: This seems to apply to any activity not otherwise illegal and only removal of commercial quantity of rock is banned.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/nonpwdpubs/water_issues/rivers/navigation/riddell/lawfulactivities.phtml

Edited by BobWill

• 2 weeks later...

Like many other members, I am anxiously awaiting an update.

Was the head collected? Was there more than we could see? What is the status of the skull?

Jim

Old Dead Things

I used to walk around Plano all the time. Crazy to realize what I could have literally walked over. I'm guessing you have a smart phone. It might help to use the gps on it. Mark the location and make a grid. Work it out. Good job!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anybody sent him a PM?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

Amen to what BobWill says......get with the Fossil Bureau of Identification and Rocky Manning at www.dallaspaleo.org for removal process....

Spectaculous!!!!!

Thanks for your help in advance.