Window Into The Past

fossilsoft

Quick prep video of a nodule from the Upper Lias of the Whitby area I did the other week if anybody is interested.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMN1J6O-NEM&list=TL9fjxRxte4kno0x5ZseozgaSIbp8eJv0q

If you happen to read this Jonny, note how thick the pyritic wall of the nodule is and that is why you need a TT when working on this sort of stuff especially if you are trying to remove it.

Welcome! Nice video and prep.area.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Trevor.... I cant recall seeing one prepped like that before... fabulous...Well done...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Thank's guy's, Steve always trying to come up with something new but most of the time someone has already tried it, might start a new trend with this one. Obviously takes a while longer than a normal prep but I think it is well worth the extra time and effort, the only problem I have now is I have to give it back.....

Thanks for the great post and welcome to the Forum. Looking forward to more of your excellent videos.

Do you have a final picture of the fish bowl prep?

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

First class as ever Trev, better than watching the tv.

Waiting for the next episode .

Dave

PS. Iv'e had dentists not give the same care to my teeth as you give your fossils . :D

• 4 weeks later...

Really neat to see from start to finish. How long have you been prepping fossils? That's a cool workshop to. I like how readily available your tools are. Meticulous work but it seems like it would be worth it. Thanks for sharing.

I like your attention to the shell-loss problem, I have always disliked that about the Yorkshire ammos, most people don't seem to care or say they can't do anything about it (or is it just no patience?) - this is the first time I've heard mention of your Paraloid method. Still it seems like you are losing significant chunks of the shell, and I wonder if there really isn't something that can be done about this.. Is there no finer pen or other tool that would work better? It may take longer but it seems like it would be worth it; for instance, I would be willing to pay more for one with intact shell than one with most of it missing, if I had the option. Anyway, at least one with 1/2 half of the shell remaining intact is better than one with none.

I'd like to see pics of some of the ones you have prepped, Have you done that Eleganticeras (I think that was what it was called)?, it seemed like you thought the shell could be retained on that one.

I don't know about cutting back the aperture - from what I have seen it seems very artificial when people do this, maybe because they square it off plainly rather than shaping it like the original opening would have been. How do you do it?

Archived