Cheap Riker Mounts - Canadian Source?

Wrangellian

This question my have been asked before but maybe not specifically by a Canadian who has little money to burn and can't afford shipping costs from the US which seem to be getting exorbitant these days, but does anyone know a cheap source for Rikers, maybe a Canadian source so my shipping is cheap? I guess if a non-Cdn source is cheap enough it might offset the shipping costs, too. I just need a couple/few for common stuff, maybe the 12" would be best.

• 2 weeks later...

No one has any ideas? Should I have put this in a different category?

Maybe I can't expect any 'cheap' ones, but if anyone know of any sellers in Canada or inexpensive ones in the US who will only charge minimal shipping, then that will do, I'll take whatever the best option is.

I am not sure of a canadian source but I have used these guys to buy other display stuff. http://www.baysavers.com/. Their shipping was very resaonable as well.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

Thanks Rej.. they only seem to have the 3x4" boxes though. I need something more like the 8x12 versions.. I'll have to do some emailing and verbal research I guess

Have you looked at;

www.RikerMounts.net ?

They have a long ramble about shipping on the site.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I have been looking for about a year to find a Canadian source for 12*16 and 8*12 cases in a variety of depths. Shipping from the US because of the size(not weight) is more than the actual cost of the cases. I would definitely buy if the shipping is reasonable. I checked Rikermounts.net but their cost of shipping the larger sizes is ridiculous. I went into a Michael's store here and they cannot even special order them for me.

There's a store near Penn-Dixie that sells them (Past & Present I believe). That doesn't exactly help you Wrangellian, but Malcolm may appreciate the info

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

What about going to a local gem/mineral show? There's often a dealer who specializes in various display cases. You might have to pay retail but you might be able to work a deal for a group of mounts. I think Gem Faire and Intergem have shows as far north as Seattle.

I don't know the flea market/garage sale situation is in your area but you might find them used but reusable that way as well.

You could also consider trading fossils for cases, starting a thread in the Member Sales category.

Yeah, shipping anything has gotten noticeably more expensive here.

Jess

No one has any ideas? Should I have put this in a different category?

Maybe I can't expect any 'cheap' ones, but if anyone know of any sellers in Canada or inexpensive ones in the US who will only charge minimal shipping, then that will do, I'll take whatever the best option is.

You seem to be on the other side of the 'Riker Line'... none, it appears, are made in Canada, so cross-border shipping will take its toll even if you find someone selling them there.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes this shipping lately is putting the kibosh on a lot of things for me... I have a few stores in mind to check out (with only small hope), I'll report back.

What about going to a local gem/mineral show? There's often a dealer who specializes in various display cases. You might have to pay retail but you might be able to work a deal for a group of mounts. I think Gem Faire and Intergem have shows as far north as Seattle.

I don't know the flea market/garage sale situation is in your area but you might find them used but reusable that way as well.

You could also consider trading fossils for cases, starting a thread in the Member Sales category.

Yeah, shipping anything has gotten noticeably more expensive here.

Jess

There are no local shows until Feb or March I think, and Seattle - even the BC mainland - is a bit of a trek! I dont get down there much.

I was planning to use these for my smaller selling/trading items, otherwise I'm not sure I have much that I could offer for trade right now! (winter sux) I was hoping to have a local/cheap source for these (I dont need many to start with) so I could put together 'representative samplings' and trade them for other actual fossils...

• 6 years later...

Hello! Im a fellow Canadian and i know this post was posted a while back but i found the best site for display cases! It is from the USA, but shipping isnt too much (just email him and ask him for an accurate shipping quote if if seems high). He has a bunch of diffrent sizes including small 6 boxes for $12. He also threw in a bunch of freebies for me (i got 15 free small boxes in my last order). Its called stones and bones and ill throw a link down there for any future people looking for rikers boxes.

https://www.stonesbones.com/fossils-specimens-minerals/cases-stands/display-cases/

• I found this Informative 1