More Petrified Wood From The Triassic In Pennsylvania

traveltip1

Recently I had a pretty decent day hunting the scarce petrified wood in the Triassic (Newark supergroup) of southeastern Pennsylvania. The largest piece in the photo weighs 13.5 lbs (6.1 kilos). It was the first specimen found in the first 5 minutes of the hunt, so I was hoping a good day would follow. And more nice wood did follow that first one.

As usual, most pieces have a brownish hue, and the silica sparkles a bit. No agatized wood.

Scale bar at photo bottom is 4 inches (10.16 cm).

post-7248-0-77472100-1386113268_thumb.jpg

Nice specimens

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Congratulations on some very nice specimens. In the past three weeks I started exploring the Newark Supergroup in Connecticutt and New Jersey. So far I've mostly found fossil fish though most are disarticulated scales, bones, etc., coprolites, but also some larger pieces and one nearly complete fish. But no petrified wood and plant remains were relatively sparse and fragmentary in the two localities I hunted in. Good to know there are other types of Newark Supergroup fossils out there, especially nice pieces of fossil wood. Count me as very curious about your Newark Supergroup finds. Best of luck collecting and thanks for posting your finds.

Great finds. I pick up a piece here and there on my "Crick" walks in Bucks County, Pa. Most black or brown but once in a while I get a real eye catcher red piece. My grandchildren now have most of them that they used as show and tell in school and then donated. It's harder to find pieces here in this area since it's all covered up with houses now. When we moved here, over 40 years ago it was much easier to find in the many farm fields along crick flows.

The history of areas are often found in the sediments of nearby cricks that cut the land and hold pieces of everyday life of the past and present times.

I have collected rocks and fossils for over 60 years and always "do a few pans" from cricks in a new area I wish to explore. Those Gold pans are great for doing research on minerals associated with areas. The lower the water cuts into the land the better. Even when a nearby area is closed to collecting, for some reason, a nearby watercourse can provide interesting finds for the interested person.

Thanks for showing us your finds.

Cool finds. :)

Thanks for posting them.

Neat to see Newark Supergroup stuff on here.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me