Clayton Phipps

Drilling A Hole In A Fossil

Clayton Phipps

Hello. I'm new to this forum. So I hope I am posting this in the right place. For Christmas this year I am trying to put some ammonite and orthoceras fossils on a few necklaces for my nieces and nephews. I have cut shaped and polished the fossils. I know that a fossils density is harder than stone. so what do i need to use to drill it so it will not fracture. will try to post 2 photos but the fossils are common

Jersey

You did a nice job. Those fossils will make for some nice gifts. My opinion, though, is that you should not drill holes in them. Instead, perhaps, you could wire wrap them and include a loop of some kind. There are some people (such as Bev: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/user/9628-bev/ ) on the Fossil Forum who have done some nice work and they may have some good suggestions for you. I'm sure the gifts will be appreciated.

Edited by Jersey

Sacha

I agree with Jersey based on the size and weight of the pieces. If you decide to drill, you need a diamond bit from Lowes, Home Depot or a lapidary supply store. Cool with a water bath and use a steady hand or a drill press.

Down under fossil hunter

Welcome Clayton, could it be that our forum has finally been graced by a true Dinosaur Cowboy?

Good luck with the pendants.

BobWill

Find the strongest adhesive you can and see how much force it takes to break off your fitting.

Herb

you can also use a Dremel tool with diamond tipped bits for smaller fossils.

Clayton Phipps

thanks guys I used a dremel tool in a water bath and it worked. I did hatter one but it was when I made the ring in it to tight