Wings

Shambala68

Found this one on the Belmont NSW insect belt In the national park seems to be layers and layers of wings of some sort the fossils do mentions are 4 inches x 6 inches ..

post-14001-0-98889700-1386892650_thumb.jpg

I have hunted the Belmont Insect Beds before and many of the wings actually turn out to be small Glossopteris leaves or leaf fragments. I can't quite make out your picture enough though to give you a definitive answer, how about a closer photo?

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

I agree, not insect. This is typical glossopteris "hash", the shales are so packed with overlying organic material that things look a bit misleading when the rocks are split open.

Also finding insects in these Permian rocks is hit and miss, very unlikely unless you find the correct beds and unfortunately those beds which the faces was named after were predominately localised in old brick pits which have now been filled in. You would have to get very very lucky to find an isolated insect in the beds exposed today.

• I found this Informative 1

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.