Who's Tooth... I Thought Bison,

thesterlingmutt

... I thought Bison Molar, but, it doesn't seem to look like the other Bison molars in the gallery. .... and yes, I cleaned and polished part of this one too.... it's my twisted Lapidary part that does it to me every time.... Sorry I'll take a better pic if need be. Found near Yuma CO.... the same day of the "Maybe Turtle Egg" find.

What do you think?

post-7922-0-55953500-1386965544_thumb.jpg

The size would be helpful too.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

... I thought Bison Molar, but, it doesn't seem to look like the other Bison molars in the gallery. .... and yes, I cleaned and polished part of this one too.... it's my twisted Lapidary part that does it to me every time.... Sorry I'll take a better pic if need be. Found near Yuma CO.... the same day of the "Maybe Turtle Egg" find.

What do you think?

Hi your fragment is from a tooth, and comes not from a Bison but from a proboscidean that could be either a Mammutidae or a Gomphotheriidae but not from Mammuthus (Elephantidae).

GREETINGS :D

Better pictures. It could be a Proboscidean tooth fragment. Need scale as well.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Thank you again for the input.... and I just now read the notes from Richw9090, and PleistoGuy, Gomphotheriidae....well, I'll be........... ........but, Bison is so much easier to spell..... however, your answers are more exciting....

I went ahead and added another pic or two.

Thank you for the use of your knowledge.

Jami

post-7922-0-83734000-1387064365_thumb.jpg

post-7922-0-54451800-1387064416_thumb.jpg

post-7922-0-49300700-1387064444_thumb.jpg

I thought the root structure looked more like the Brontotherium type too, after looking at what I could find on the fossilized

mammal teeth in that area.

However, I don't have the experience or the knowledge as compared to I'm sure, most all of you.

Thanks for the input....

Your hunch would definitely be right. If I recall, Brontotherium, Brontops, and Megacerops are all synonymous, with Megacerops being the currently-preferred name. You must have a prime hunting location. Neat beasts, they were.

Easy clue is the central enamel lake on the occlusal surface - that never appears on a proboscidean tooth.

Brontotheriidae is now the proper name of the family, replacing Titanotheriidae. Same animals.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

With new photos comes new ID... as some others had said, you have shown us the occlusal surface and that changes my original statemen wich was wrong.

Its not a proboscidean, its a Brontothere.

GREETINGS :D

Archived