Associated Miocene Dolphin

shark57

Here are some pics of a project I have been working on. These bones come from a Calvert formation (lower to mid Miocene) dolphin found on August 2. There are two pics of the same block from different angles. The second pic was done after a little more work and I had uncovered another vertebra. In this block there are at least six vertebrae (including the atlas), a humerus, and a rib (the end is just visible above the "2" on the ruler).post-12754-0-90854800-1387034123_thumb.jpgpost-12754-0-36362900-1387034143_thumb.jpg

More to come as collection and preparation continues.

Really nice prep, very interesting. If you are married, you are in so much trouble for ruining that towel--LOL----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Great project, what tool(s) are being used?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Really nice prep, very interesting. If you are married, you are in so much trouble for ruining that towel--LOL----Tom

Yes, I have caught flack for the towel.

Great project, what tool(s) are being used?

A pick, hammer and screwdrivers to remove the blocks. Dental tools and a toothbrush to expose the bones.

Haha!

Nice prep work

Gary

You definitely have found an awesome specimen!!!!!! When you find the atlas vertebra, and a humerus in addition to a skull and jaw you should be able to really nail the identification of the specimen.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Archived