Help With An Ongoing Research.

PleistoGuy

Hi, there. :D

I am seeking for help on an ongoing research. You see, there is two fossil sites in wich I work as a graduate student. We are developing a new method to identify isolated Bison teeth using multivariate statistics. Until now we beign able to differentiate between two ecotypes, a large form and a small form. These are not sexual differences (we alrealy test them and find the sexual difference does not correspond with our findings).

The help I need now is if you know someone or directly posess skulls of fossil North American fossil bisons with attached teeth. I only need to identify your skulls and to measure all individual teeth. I currently use 5 variables and all I need is to measure them.

Of course, I don't need you to send me the fossils or something like that, I just need you to measure them and send me close up pictures with a scale bar.

The species I look for are Bison latifrons (giant bison) and Bison antiquus (ancient bison).

I'm already seeking for museum's collections but they have few skulls with teeth on them. If know museums wich have a large number of them I appreciate you give me some info.

This are the teeth I need to measure in the upper jaw.

post-5845-0-07835200-1387057107_thumb.jpg

I'm also looking for some jaws that are associated with skulls in order to identify the species.

This are the teeth I need to measure in the lower jaw.

post-5845-0-74189400-1387057235_thumb.jpg

I will be very very thankfull if you can help me people.

Thank you very much for reading.

HAVE A NICE DAY. :D

Well, of course the best place to go would be the American Museum of Natural History, which has an enormous collection of Bison fossil skulls. The University of Texas at Austin has probably the second largest collection. Other museums have smaller collections. I assume you've looked at all of the collections in Mexico? INAH should have at least some specimens in their collections from the older excavations in the Mexico City area - Tequixquiac, etc.

Rich

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Well, of course the best place to go would be the American Museum of Natural History, which has an enormous collection of Bison fossil skulls. The University of Texas at Austin has probably the second largest collection. Other museums have smaller collections. I assume you've looked at all of the collections in Mexico? INAH should have at least some specimens in their collections from the older excavations in the Mexico City area - Tequixquiac, etc.

Rich

Thank you very much for the info.

Yes, I already went to the INAH and we could not find any bison skulls with teeth. The only one was a gorgeus Bison antiquus from Valsequillo, Puebla. However I need to go some other time and to the UNAM at the Institute of Geology.

Thanks again for pointing to those museums. Are they even more plenty of bison skulls than Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County?

Have a nice day :D

Archived