Miatria

post-10484-0-61594600-1387246200_thumb.jpgpost-10484-0-20264200-1387246260_thumb.jpg

I just found this tooth in Florida's Peace River. It looks like a canine. Shell Seeker suggested either bear or dire wolf, and as always, he suggested I turn to the experts on the Fossil Forum for help.

I appreciate all input.

Zookeeperfossils.com

As massively bulbous as the root is, and with the lateral compression of the crown, I would think bear.

• I Agree 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I may be wrong but it does look like a dire wolf canine. Cave bear incisors are lots of times white. Wait till a better expert weighs in to be sure though. What a great find by the way!

The color of a fossil is never used as an identifying characteristic.

The tooth in question is a bear canine. Likely black bear.

As massively bulbous as the root is, and with the lateral compression of the crown, I would think bear.

I always like confirmation, I had seen a Dire Wolf Canine of similar length found by a hunting companion a couple of weeks earlier. The root was much narrower. I have tended to associate the increased root size with bear -- SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"