Best 2013 Fossil

Beach Boy

Hi all

What was your best find of 2013.

This Crioceras is my best find and came from the Glacial Holderness coast in Yorkshire.

post-11208-0-64811100-1387627521_thumb.jpg

Have a great Christmas and good hunting for 2014

Regards

Dave

Beautiful! :wub:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Very nice , hope you did not have to carry it too far

Thanks Malcolm

For the story of how i found and removed this fossil have a read at my post "race against the tide" posted 25th or 26th of May in the general discussion section.

Regards

Dave

Hello!

2013 was a great year for me..I have improved a lot the quality in my fossils collection. But a new one was a good surprise..;it was stopped by a trunk instead to finish into the Baltic sea, down to the cliff.....my first oncocerid....by the way , if someone can help me for the id...thanks in advance!!!

Dromiopsis

11 cm long, Silurian Gotland Sweden

post-5175-0-29293300-1387649745_thumb.jpg

post-5175-0-12527500-1387649837_thumb.jpg

post-5175-0-19056700-1387649871_thumb.jpg

2013 for me will go down in history as the year i found my first vertebrate fossil, first dinosaur bone, first tooth and various other first time things.

But my find of the year, and my personal favourite thing i have ever found in 6-7 years of collecting, is this connected pair of Ichthyosaurus vertebrae from Charmouth in England.

post-5373-0-61491900-1387665815_thumb.jpg post-5373-0-17126600-1387665835_thumb.jpg

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Dave.... Thats a fabulous specimen it really is.... Well done for finding it AND retrieving it....Easier said than done....

Fabulous finds everyone...

I had put these in another thread but I cut & pasted them here to....

Personal finds ultimately they mean more to you having more to reflect on than pressing 'Buy' so I can appreciate the enjoyment people will have had exploring and eventually finding their treasures....I havent been out collecting as much as usual really but I still managed to get myself a few additions for the collection... I have only collected the Somerset coast really and it is tough going at the best of times for 3 D material so anything you get is of value I think... I collected Lyme Regis a couple of times and got some nice specimens but I havent been able to get round to prepping them..

A triple Vermiceras with the natural arrangement of the ammonite shells creating an exceptional display piece...

003 (526x800).jpg

Chamaessiceras.... With a small Oyster attached to it... Another very rare shell....

002 (559x640).jpg

A very aesthetic chunk of matrix from a section of the coast that has many partial ammonites but not many good ones that just happened to have a decent shell in there (for a change)... I prepped enough duds from there to be owed one....

001 (600x800) (1).jpg

And finally another Somerset Nautilus ( Cenoceras).... Its always a great day when you stumble on one and again there are more crushed partials than complete ones having prepped a few now so I can really appreciate a gooden....

006 (750x800).jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Very nice finds had by all. Congratulations to you all on what looks like a successful year. I must say, Steve, that Charmasseiceras is something else! :envy:

My best find from this year has to be this Phylloceras heterophyllum from Ravenscar, Yorkshire, UK:

post-4271-0-80565500-1387711097_thumb.jpg

Kind regards,

Joe

Timor Ammonites, from Baun Amarasi Kupang and Central West Timor, And a big blastoid for fun.

Blessings to us all for Xmas and New Year

post-12572-0-47621300-1387721031_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-04992700-1387721190_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-25171400-1387721469_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-57896900-1387721611_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-27569700-1387721749_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave

They don't come much bigger or better than that.

Well done and Happy Christmas

Nick

Thanks Nick

What about your best find , any you can show yet.

Regards

Dave

Very nice finds had by all. Congratulations to you all on what looks like a successful year. I must say, Steve, that Charmasseiceras is something else! :envy:

My best find from this year has to be this Phylloceras heterophyllum from Ravenscar, Yorkshire, UK:

attachicon.gif52b4b2c30d0cc5.83859889_r.jpg

Joe.........really nice. I've only ever found bits.

Thanks Nick

What about your best find , any you can show yet.

Regards

Dave

Dave.......I'll try and post something over Christmas

Dave.... Thats a fabulous specimen it really is.... Well done for finding it AND retrieving it....Easier said than done....

Fabulous finds everyone...

I had put these in another thread but I cut & pasted them here to....

Personal finds ultimately they mean more to you having more to reflect on than pressing 'Buy' so I can appreciate the enjoyment people will have had exploring and eventually finding their treasures....I havent been out collecting as much as usual really but I still managed to get myself a few additions for the collection... I have only collected the Somerset coast really and it is tough going at the best of times for 3 D material so anything you get is of value I think... I collected Lyme Regis a couple of times and got some nice specimens but I havent been able to get round to prepping them..

A triple Vermiceras with the natural arrangement of the ammonite shells creating an exceptional display piece...

003 (526x800).jpg

Chamaessiceras.... With a small Oyster attached to it... Another very rare shell....

002 (559x640).jpg

A very aesthetic chunk of matrix from a section of the coast that has many partial ammonites but not many good ones that just happened to have a decent shell in there (for a change)... I prepped enough duds from there to be owed one....

001 (600x800) (1).jpg

And finally another Somerset Nautilus ( Cenoceras).... Its always a great day when you stumble on one and again there are more crushed partials than complete ones having prepped a few now so I can really appreciate a gooden....

006 (750x800).jpg

Steve..........you must have the best collection of ammonites in the UK. So jealous

attachicon.gifPachydiscus suciensis.jpg

Here is my Pachydiscus suciensis from Hornby Island this past spring!!

Hi fossisle..........another nice ammonite.

2013 for me will go down in history as the year i found my first vertebrate fossil, first dinosaur bone, first tooth and various other first time things.

But my find of the year, and my personal favourite thing i have ever found in 6-7 years of collecting, is this connected pair of Ichthyosaurus vertebrae from Charmouth in England.

attachicon.gifIchthyosaurus Vertebrae 1.JPG attachicon.gifIchthyosaurus Vertebrae 2.JPG

Paeleoworld............I really like those verts. Your trip report for the UK was spot on. Well one mate.

Timor Ammonites, from Baun Amarasi Kupang and Central West Timor, And a big blastoid for fun.

Blessings to us all for Xmas and New Year

Hi Timorgirl.............some nice finds there.

Hello!

2013 was a great year for me..I have improved a lot the quality in my fossils collection. But a new one was a good surprise..;it was stopped by a trunk instead to finish into the Baltic sea, down to the cliff.....my first oncocerid....by the way , if someone can help me for the id...thanks in advance!!!

Dromiopsis

11 cm long, Silurian Gotland Sweden

Hi Dromiopsis............I'm not sure what it is, but it looks good. Well done

Happy Christmas

Nick

Wow! Some truly awesome finds!

Here's one from MinnesOta! My favorite for this year...

post-9628-0-17526700-1387745518_thumb.jpg

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

After seeing your fantastically prepped fossils, my son wants to live in the UK, near the coast, and be able to hunt the beaches for ammonites...
My best and favorite find of 2013 (and pretty much my favorite find ever) was this pterosaur brain cast:

Pterosaur Endocast

a close second was this cluster of ammonites:

Scaphites Nautiloid

Scaphites & Nautiloid

Edited by John K

After seeing your fantastically prepped fossils, my son wants to live in the UK, near the coast, and be able to hunt the beaches for ammonites...
My best and favorite find of 2013 (and pretty much my favorite find ever) was this pterosaur brain cast:
a close second was this cluster of ammonites:

Hi John

Thanks for showing your best finds , they really are showcase quality.

Regards

Dave

attachicon.gifwaldo cu.jpg

Bev it is beautiful but i don't know what it is, can you explain.

Thanks

Regards

Dave

attachicon.gifwaldo cu.jpg

Bev

Waldo is truly awesome. It is extremely rare when a specimen has a personality of its own.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

LOL Waldo does have a personality all his own! He is an Anataphrus borreaus enrolled trilobite. He taunted me in my dreams on July 4th of 2013 to come and get him.

I believe he was calling to me from 450 mya to come rescue him and cherish him. :-D

Here is the hunt for Waldo:

http://www.bluffcountryfossils.com/blog/4th-of-july-fossil-hunt-whahoo-check-out-this-roller/

Edited by Bev

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Thanks Bev.

It took me longer to read your blog than it took you to find him , great find and great story.

Thanks

Dave

My best find in 2013 - complete skeleton of Pachycothon giganteum. There are only several complete skeletons of this sponge in the world and one of them is mine )))))

Well done Evgeny brilliant fossil, did you find it ?

Dave

Here's a GW I found in 2013. Best one in my collection. Can't wait to find more in 2014!

Thanks for showing , the serration detail is amazing, i guess that finds as good as this are quite rare .

I don't get to see shark teeth where i collect so its always good to see your finds.

Dave