My Christmas Gift To Me

mikecable

post-7463-0-91162300-1387652737_thumb.jpg

I've been searching for an affordable sieve shaker on Ebay for over a year now. I missed out on only one or two good deals in that time. I thought I wanted an 8 inch model, but this 3 inch model popped up. I already had a set of 3 inch sieves.

The seller was asking $250 Buy It Now, or Best Offer. I offered $100 and the seller countered with $140. Since the shipping was only 18 bucks I jumped on the deal.

Seeing how heavy and loud this beast is I believe I'm glad I didn't get an 8 inch model. My dear wife questioned the droning, thumping noise--I told her that was just the sound of science. I can process about 4 ounces (100 grams) at a time--and quickly.

The unit is in almost perfect shape--just a few worn spots on the industrial grey colored enamel. I love the post-modern, Cold War look. It has a tag from the University of Alabama, so while I'm a Texas fan I'll say "Roll on Crimson Tide".

Congratulations, Mike. Nice deal. I think you oughta hang a little tinsel on it for Christmas. Sound of Science. Isn't that a Simon and Garfunkel song?

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Mike

How do you clean your sieves? I moved away from the expensive metal wire sieves because I had a heck of a time cleaning all the stuff that would get stuck in them especially quartz. It would take me forever with a wire brush to clean them. I was always worried about contamination from site to site. Now I use a lot of nylon sieves which I can just wash to get all the trapped stuff out.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

If there is stubborn stuff on the small 3 inch sieves they go into an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. On the larger 8 inch sieves I use a pressure spray nozzle on the garden hose. On the larger, sturdier mesh sizes I will use a dental pick to pop out the stuck bits. On the finer meshes I use an old tooth brush.

I need to get some sieves! I've been using coffee filters for straining the liquid after dissolving limestone in vinegar. They do work for catching everything I want to look at, they just catch everything else, too! I'd like to catch the foraminifera while letting the sand go.

Any recommendations? The nylon sieves that MarcoSr mentioned sound good, but I don't know where to find them. I'm also on a fairly tight budget, so I won't be able to get an expensive one anytime soon.

Kitchen strainers, colanders, panty hose and window screening are all possibilities. It depends on what size micro you are after.

The standard brass sieves are outrageously expensive new, but if you set up a search alert on Ebay and are patient you can find deals. I've got a huge collection and paid on average 10 bucks a sieve including shipping. For somebody starting out I'd recommend #s 10 (2mm), 18 (1mm) and 35 (0.5mm). For larger stuff you could make your own with 1/8" or 1/4" screening. The smaller stuff is fun, but requires a microscope and a steady hand.

The 8 inch sieves are the most common, and I'd recommend starting with that size if you try to build a set off of Ebay. 3, 5 and 12 inch are much harder to find.

I like the standard brass sieves because with care they are dang near indestructible. They stack interchangeably within a given size range, so you can build a stack based on the matrix. Plus they just feel like a part of history.

If you have good micro-matrix you're willing to trade PM me. I might be able to trade you a starter set of standard sieves.

I am completely and totally envious. Probably one of the toys that I will never get. I have no hope of getting one shipped from the states up here to Canada without totally breaking the bank. I still spend hours every month sieving my abrasion powders through my stack of 8 inch sieves (30, 40, 45, 50, 80, 100, 120, 200, 320) . Yes I definitely reuse abrasion powders that I have separated into three grades (fits through 120 but not 200, fits through 200 but not 320, fits through 320)I throw out anything that will not fit through a 120 mesh sieve.

post-7463-0-07091000-1387849081_thumb.jpg

17 bucks Amazon Prime--free shipping. Came with about a dozen extra tubes and several dozen extra caps.

post-7463-0-15354400-1387849280_thumb.jpg

50 of these for ten bucks. I'll share with my wife who uses these for homemade hair oils. Sweet science goodness.