missingdigits

Hey everyone,

I found this little jaw last Summer in the Lincoln Limestone, Greenhorn Formation, late Cretaceous in Kansas. After reading some information forwarded by Ramo about Coniasaurus and how they are fairly common in the Lincoln Limestone I was wondering if I might have found a partial jaw. I am completely unfamiliar with Coniasaurus and really don't know. I just thought it looked very similar and un-fish like given the shape of the teeth (or roots). Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jamie

post-7675-0-69417600-1387666463_thumb.jpg

PS. There is micro shark tooth just below the jaw. Probably unrelated, but I like to think it's from a little guy nibbling on the carcass.

post-7675-0-66842900-1387666979_thumb.jpg

Edited by missingdigits

Pretty cool find. I guess it could be Coniasaurus. I think it is really neat to have a shark tooth in bedded in there.

Cole~

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Plotinus 204 or 205 C.E., Egyptian Philosopher

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed Mike Everhart about it and he thinks it is probably the distal end of a Coniasuar jaw. Apparently they all look a little different and the photos he included certainly show that. While it is not uncommon in the Lincoln Limestone it is a new find for me and kind of exciting.

Thanks for your comments.

Jamie

Again, I need to get back over to the prep page. Was it "open" like this or did you have to chisel down to it?