Kman100

Best Of Texas

Kman100

Hey guys.

Sorry that this question is so broad.

So I'm thinking about taking a vacation to Texas to do some fossil hunting.

I don't really know anything about Texas fossil locations.

I'm wondering if you guys can contribute some "must see" classic places in Texas.

My hit list of fossils are 1. Ammonites, 2. pliocene vertabrate fossils, 3. marine invertebrates (echinoids, crinoids, gastrapods exetra)

RyanNREMTP

There is the Mammoth Site in Waco. Plus the Mayborn Museum that does a great job about Texas and fossils and such. As for sites to digging at, no clue. I'm just now starting my list and I live in Texas.

mikecable

Keep in mind that Texas is really big. Will you have a vehicle. I'm based in Abilene and most of our day trips involve 4 to 8 hours of driving. Lot's of great fossils but lots of miles involved.

JamieLynn

I've not been here yet, planning on going in March, but this would be a good place to start! :http://www.mineralwellsfossilpark.com/

Uncle Siphuncle

north sulphur river (ammonites, mosasaur matl, shark teeth). lake texoma (ammonites, echinoids). whiskey bridge (eocene bivalves, gastropods, ocaasional shark teeth, exceptional shell preservation). lost creek reservoir borrow pit at jacksboro (huge faunal list of well preserved penn inverts, occasional shark teeth). productivity subject to timing/intensity of rain and collecting pressure immediately prior to your trip.

BobWill

I'll add Post Oak Creek in Sherman if you like cretaceous shark teeth and Wilson Clay Pit for more Paleozoic marine material. If you're here after deer season PM me if you want really large ammonites.

Kman100

Thanks!

RyanNREMTP

How long are you planning to stay? And when?

Kman100

Sorry, thats still up in the air, but it looks like spring break and something like 5 days.

RyanNREMTP

Stay away from the coast during spring break. Just FYI.

Uncle Siphuncle

you might consider dropping pliocene verts from the roster as it would take you time to develop private landowner relations required to access the playa lake deposits of the ogallala fm of west tx known for those bones. you'll find easier, more concentrated pickins of cretaceous marine stuff to the east.

toolbox82

A good resource to have is the Geological Highway Map of Texas available from the AAPG store. The digital download version is great on a tablet or personal pc. A paper copy of the map is also available for purchase. The map is published by the AAPG. The map contains an informative section on the type of fossils and where they can be found. The digital download can be found at the link below.

http://store.aapg.org/detail.aspx?id=DD0030

Another good resource of a variety of Texas maps.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/texas.html

Hope this can help.

Planko

That Texas map site is great. Thanks for sharing that.

Kman100

Now my plans are a little more ironed out, and I'm gonna be staying in Austin.

I am certainly trying the whiskey bridge over Little Brazos.

toolbox82

Now my plans are a little more ironed out, and I'm gonna be staying in Austin.

I am certainly trying the whiskey bridge over Little Brazos.

Kman100,

I am a litte over half the distance from Austin to the Whiskey Bridge site. I am located near Cameron, Texas. When your on your way to the Wiskey Bridge site, if you would like to stop and visit the dig site hear. Just send me a PM a day before your trip to make sure I will be home. You may find a couple of marine invertebrates here.

Carl

Auspex

Were I traveling in the area (and if the invitation was offered), I'd jump at the chance to see Carl's site!

RyanNREMTP

Yep, that's a great idea.

prem

Keep in mind that Texas is really big. Will you have a vehicle. I'm based in Abilene and most of our day trips involve 4 to 8 hours of driving. Lot's of great fossils but lots of miles involved.

Mike, I remember as a kid collecting at a Permian shale roadcut near Cisco, TX (I don't remember if it was right on I-20 or on a side road) on a trip to Abilene from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Crinoid stems were the most common, along with rugose corals, brachiopods, bryozoans, etc. We did find one partial Ditomopyge trilobite as well. I am wondering if this cut is still collected at all.

---Prem

toolbox82

Were I traveling in the area (and if the invitation was offered), I'd jump at the chance to see Carl's site!

Auspex,

When your travels bring you to Texas, send me a PM to make sure I will be home. I will make sure there is some fresh material to search thru. There might be a few invertebrates to be found here also.

Carl

Auspex

Heaven knows when I'll be able to get back to Texas; it's been too long, and gettin' longer :(

I'll sure give you a holler if I do, though! I've a daughter and two granddaughters in San Marcos. :)

mikecable

Mike, I remember as a kid collecting at a Permian shale roadcut near Cisco, TX (I don't remember if it was right on I-20 or on a side road) on a trip to Abilene from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Crinoid stems were the most common, along with rugose corals, brachiopods, bryozoans, etc. We did find one partial Ditomopyge trilobite as well. I am wondering if this cut is still collected at all.

---Prem

Still collected, and heavily collected. As a kid 40 years ago we collected gallon buckets of crinoid stems. My mother, who is now 81, refuses to believe that you still can't collect crinoid stems by the gallon at that site. But rain does fall. Fossils continue to be collected. They just don't lay upon the ground like snow. C'est la vie.

prem

Still collected, and heavily collected. As a kid 40 years ago we collected gallon buckets of crinoid stems. My mother, who is now 81, refuses to believe that you still can't collect crinoid stems by the gallon at that site. But rain does fall. Fossils continue to be collected. They just don't lay upon the ground like snow. C'est la vie.

I'd love to revisit that site someday. I have fond memories of collecting there.

---Prem

Bigdogrn

I live in Crowley just south of Fort Worth. I have several sites I visit locally. I have a site less than a mile from my house with teeth from many different shark species, vertebrate, turtle, crocodile, sawfish rostrel teeth, small lobsters and some chunks of bone (not sure of what yet). This site may not be around long, they have been bulldozing site. Email or PM before your trip.

Kman100

Hey guys, I really feel stupid saying this after all this kind feedback and offers, but I've now decided to go to florida instead.

Thanks so much for all your kindness everyone though!