The Never Ending Hike

bmorefossil

Easternshore and I met up again for another trip, this time we decided to collect a spot along the Potomac river where I usually do well and this time was no different. The only problem with this spot is accessibility and it involves hiking a good 5-6 miles through, over and around fallen trees. It's not much fun after your legs are cut to bits by the branches and look like you were trapped in a lions den. We each were finding the usual small teeth when I glanced up at the high gravel line and spotted the find of the trip. A beautiful 2 1/8" C. Aksuaticus. Which is a transitional tooth between Otodus and Auriculatus and can only be found at just a few known locations. They are usually extremely worn or in bad shape but this one was only missing one cusp and nearly unworn so I doubt it had been in the water very long. The tooth actually had some matrix near the root. The color and odd shape make this one my favorite tooth of this species. I also found a 1 7/8" sand tiger. The winds began to pick up and we were getting sand blasted and with the long journey ahead of us we made our way back to the car. If we had more time I'm sure we would have found some other nice teeth. Happy hunting and holidays everyone!

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/Steven_Ferguson/image_zps5fd1d70b.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/Steven_Ferguson/image_zps8a22182e.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/Steven_Ferguson/image_zpse2a5ad28.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/Steven_Ferguson/image_zps3d1a35a6.jpg

Steve

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Great finds! What's is that claw looking thing you found...is it just a broken tooth....looks like an eagle claw or something?

LIFE IS SHORT...HUNT HARD!!!

Yea it's either an eagle or osprey talon.

Eagle (or so, depending on size). Osprey talon cores are quite round in cross-section, and describe a greater degree of arc.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Eagle (or so, depending on size). Osprey talon cores are quite round in cross-section, and describe a greater degree of arc.

Chas

When do eagles first show up in the fossil record? I'm curious if the talon is recent or could be from either the Eocene or Miocene. Although there is also Pleistocene in that area of the Potomac, I've never found Pleistocene bird or mammal fossils in that area.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

This is a Pleistocene fossil.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is a Pleistocene fossil.

That is a really great find! Looking at the photo I had just assumed it was modern, but what a nice fossil it is then

Yea I wasn't thinking anything of it either. Very cool thanks guys

Hey Bmore, others on the board are way more qualified than me but I wouldn't necessarily make the jump that it is a fossil. I have 2 raptor claws (eagle) from the Potomac in 3 years hunting and could have way more if I were willing to plunder dead birds. I wouldn't call them common at all but certainly you can find them with some regularity if you hunt often enough/get lucky. During the spring/fall that area of the Potomac is covered up with eagles fighting and sometimes dying. If yours is fossilized though I would definitely call it the find of the trip. Either way definitely cool and congrats on that Aksuaticus. Never found one of those and definitely on my list of "to finds".

Archived