Kainops Prep Sequence

matt cable

I'm one of those crazy people who enjoy to prep. I thought I'd share a prep job I completed this summer.

I prepped this Kainops trilobite for a friend and took pictures through the process. This trilobite is from Black Cat Mountain and the matrix is a soft limestone. Most of the nice inflated trilobites are found by spliting. A few small chips are in the negative. I cut that piece down a bit before I glued. I probably should have cut it down a bit more since it was just thin chips.

After the glue set, I used my Aero scribe and Swamblaster abrasive unit. Once I found the tail, it was a very fast prep. I'm always very careful until I know exactly where the trilobite is hiding. A scribe will mess up a trilobite very quickly.

post-1687-0-50457400-1387814888_thumb.jpeg

post-1687-0-88008600-1387814899_thumb.jpeg

post-1687-0-31605900-1387814908_thumb.jpeg

post-1687-0-16855600-1387814914_thumb.jpeg

post-1687-0-68334800-1387814920_thumb.jpeg

post-1687-0-50440800-1387814934_thumb.jpeg

post-1687-0-08363600-1387814943_thumb.jpeg

post-1687-0-55793700-1387814949_thumb.jpeg

post-1687-0-66120000-1387814956_thumb.jpeg

post-1687-0-77695100-1387815460_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Excellent prep work, Matt! :wub:

Thanks for posting the sequence - nice to see the gradual progress.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Super of you to expend the time and effort to document the prep progress; thank you!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Awesome. I really enjoyed seeing the prep from start to finish. To be honest, what I like most about this prep is the fact that you smoothed out all of the little squiggly prep lines around the trilobite. I hate seeing those, especially when the matrix around the trilobite is darker and you see a million of those little tool marks - to me it is very distracting to my eyes and detracts from the bug. Your prep here looks very neat and clean. I too love to see your work area and am envious that you got your own place in your house; I have a small desk area with some shelves. Someday I hope to turn my shed into a workshop...someday.

Daryl.

Thanks, guys. My man cave is my prep room. When I was single, I spent some serious money to get set up right. I'd been using dental picks before that. Fast forward to today, my wife is very understanding and lets me prep when I need some fossil therapy. It's relaxing for me.

I agree with you, Daryl. I hate the poor landscaping on some of the Moroccan trilobites. A smoother surface makes the trilobite look like it's walking the ocean floor.

I usually do not coat anything I clean, but I think I did brush on a coating of matte Krylon diluted in acetone. This trilobite didn't contrast as much as most Black Cat bugs do and I wanted it to stand out a bit more.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for posting the step by step. Being a newbie at prepping it was very helpful! Great job!

Gotta ask, what the heck is that hanging from your ceiling? :D

Jed

Great job, Matt! With a really good looking result! How tough is that matrix?

It's good to see your setup as well. I'm also a prep nut and have just posted something on these lines as well:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/34371-hunt-results-from-the-aalenian-and-bajocian-in-germany/page-7#entry466733

Just scroll up a bit to find the beginning.

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thanks Jed - It's an inflatable pterodactyl my wife got me a few years ago. Looks like it needs some air... :)

Hi Ludwigia - I always love seeing those large ammonites prepped out. Interesting that you prep the pieces before you glue them together. I almost always glue my pieces early so I won't loose a small chip. But I'm also dealing with much smaller fossils. This particular matrix is a soft limestone and very easy to work with. I'm used to soft shale up to hard limestone. This is a nice balance. The trilobites are nicely inflated (typically only in limestone), but easy to prep (typically only in shale).

Nice set up, nice prep work, you just gotta love the material from Black Cat Mountain. Wish there was a source for unprepped matrix from there.....

I usually do not coat anything I clean, but I think I did brush on a coating of matte Krylon diluted in acetone.

Like the spray Krylon? If so I might have to pick some of that up.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Yup. I picked it up at a craft store like Michaels. I've seen some people just spray right from the bottle, but it comes out too thick for me and the matrix also gets coated. I have a small glass bottle, spray a bit in there and cut it down with acetone. I then just paint it on the fossil. I prefer the matte Krylon, but the glossy is also available in the store.

• I found this Informative 1

That sounds about right. It's heavy of the acetone side and really depends on the fossil, matrix and how much coating you want.

So I take it you just do a small squirt in your jar? At least for something like the trilobite. I assume it does not take much to coat a small fossil.

Robert
Southeast, MO

• 3 months later...

Hey Matt, I've been prepping some trilobites I got from a trip to Blackcat Mountain last year and I'm curious: how did you smooth out the matrix and remove the prep lines? I've tried various dremel attachments and they don't seem to work very well. they smooth it out way too much, actually. Makes it look unnatural. I'm at a loss. Any help would be fantastic.

Hey Matt, I've been prepping some trilobites I got from a trip to Blackcat Mountain last year and I'm curious: how did you smooth out the matrix and remove the prep lines? I've tried various dremel attachments and they don't seem to work very well. they smooth it out way too much, actually. Makes it look unnatural. I'm at a loss. Any help would be fantastic.

I'm not sure how David did it, but I have heard some preparators use fine sand paper to smooth the matrix.