Triassic Ammonoid Prep

andreas

I am happy :) because I ve just finished prep work of an upper Carnian ammonoid block. The block was found in spring this year (2013). It was prepared from the downside. Prep time is about 40 hours.

First pic is the rough block. It looks unspectacular because it was a dry day and the real colours of the limestone can not be seen.

post-2660-0-05521900-1388418106_thumb.jpg

After washing its red and grey colour is visible.

post-2660-0-03941100-1388418127_thumb.jpg

During prep work I took of some limestone parts and ammonoids to reach the fossils below.post-2660-0-92373600-1388418139_thumb.jpg

Unfortunly a fault runs through the block. You can see the dislocation of the bigger horizontal laying orthocone nautiloid.post-2660-0-09021600-1388418165_thumb.jpg

Therfore the uppermost ammonoid and the small nautiloid nearby needed a little restauration. (resplit, dislocate and glue again)

The block shows a typical tethydial ammonoid fauna of the uppermost aonoides zone/Carnian/Upper Triassic.

post-2660-0-28309500-1388418200_thumb.jpg

On the backside of the slab the marly horizon of the uppermost Julian, Carnian Pluveal Event starts.

• I found this Informative 1

Amazing plate and prep, Andreas!
Thanks for showing us this wonderful piece!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

You have revealed a spectacular showpiece, which could proudly grace any museum display :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Spectular fossil, thanks for sharing. I bet that was very difficult to prepare; so very well done! :envy:

Edited by Ammojoe
  • I found this Informative 1

Kind regards,

Joe

Andreas, that looks great! Knowing how hard that material is you've done a fantastic job! One less block in your basement, but it wouldn't surprise me if you've filled up the gap again since my visit ;)

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

now that's a tasty bowl of jambalaya!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thank you all for your nice comments!

The ammonoids did split well from matrix so it was not as difficult as it seems. You just have to do it this way and not take out the single ammonoids like most people do. It is only a matter of the invested time.

Roger, basement is still full. Maybe we meet again somtimes in future.

now that's a tasty bowl of jambalaya!

but a little hard to chew :) but I still have big fun with it...me oh my oh :D

Edited by andreas

I was going to use Auspex's word 'spectacular', but I guess it bears repeating. The fault doesn't bother me - that's Nature's fault, not yours! Part of the geology, part of the piece.

Yes, that would be nice. Maybe this summer?

Roger, you are always welcome. Just let me know it early enough. Probably I will meet my friends next week. There we can talk about a common trip.

Roger, you are always welcome. Just let me know it early enough. Probably I will meet my friends next week. There we can talk about a common trip.

Okay. Thanks! Let's keep in touch.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• 4 weeks later...