Can Someone Id This Artifact?

Dave Daniel AKA (Bones)

Hi All,

Don't know anything about artifacts.

A few years ago, a small town in S.E. Colorado called me for help removing some artifacts from their dump.

As many of you may know, when you are known as an expert locally for fossils, everyone thinks you are an expert

in anything scientifically. Anyway, They hit a pocket of pottery and other artifacts and asked me if I could help them remove

the pieces for their local museum. They said I could have one of the pieces if I help them remove the rest without damaging

them. There were several pots (very nice) beads, and other artifacts that I did my best to document and photograph

positioning, levels, and everything as best I could. They didn't want to contact a University or museum (wanted to remove quietly)

in fear of this site being shut down.

When I finished, they insisted that I take one of any piece I wanted. I took the most unattractive piece in the collection.

They were excited that I took this piece over the other beautiful pieces.

I took this piece because I thought it looked out of place and didn't appear to be from the same period or tribe.

Someone told me that they thought it must have been a trade piece (either Mayan or Aztec) I have thought about getting in contact

with the town to get a piece of the pottery to show the association between the two tribes if this were true.

Did I choose wisely.

Can anyone enlighten me to what it is?

post-1026-1230996449_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1230996482_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1230996514_thumb.jpg

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

There's probably no one on this forum who knows less about this stuff than me, but I can offer an observation:

It looks similar in motif to the "story teller" sculptures that are still in production today by many tribes.

post-423-1231004332_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Nicholas
There's probably no one on this forum who knows less about this stuff than me, but I can offer an observation:

It looks similar in motif to the "story teller" sculptures that are still in production today by many tribes.

Oh! Me! *raises hand* I've never even seen an artifact older than first euro settlers...

My 2 cents worth, My thought are that it is Anasazi, probably used by the mud people as a mask during ceremonies.

Archived