My First Isotelus

hrguy54

This past Saturday was crazy warm so I accepted the offer to dig at a favorite spot in South central Ohio. Found a fair number of Flexys that I'm slowly prepping, but here are the 2 I was most excited about.

They're the first Isotelus I've ever found/been involved in finding.

Both still need some sort of consolidant/preservative added to strengthen them (suggestions welcomed).

I'll prep the right side of the big one once I've applied the consolidant/preservative.

post-7762-0-37141300-1388590779_thumb.jpg

post-7762-0-64702700-1388590861_thumb.jpg

Edited by hrguy54

:ninja: awesome trilobites!! im pretty sure i know where there from :D

Edited by ohiofossilhunter

Great finds, HRguy!

Can't wait to see them prepped.
Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very nice first isotelus finds.... you are well ahead of a lot of us with these. You are correct these definitely need some consolidation to help stop the fossil from flaking away to nothing. I use PVA (polyvinalacetate) dissolved in acetone quite dilute about 10 parts acetone to 1 part PVA. There are other consolidants we use but they may be even harder to find. (Butvar, paraloid, vinac)

Some use Duco cement highly diluted in Acetone ( I have never used as we cannot buy it up here in Canada. Others use a PVA based white glue such as Elmers highly diluted with water. Again I do not use this because I have vinac, butvar and paraloid available.

Awesome finds, congrats on your first isotelus! Looking forward to seeing yours prepped, I gathered some in Ohio as well, just have been working too much to focus on prepping right now.

Another on the list for me. I've found a few good rollers, but no good prone specimens to date. Those will be great additions to your collection.

Congratulations on your first Isotelus. Still searching for my first, though it would help if I hunted more in Ordovician strata. I can appreciate the joy of finally finding something you've sought for a while. Those are great specimens.

Congrats! Those are beautiful first Isotelus trilos. You are way ahead of me, as I haven't even found any pieces! Thanks for sharing.

-Gabe

I like crinoids......

Not even pieces? Gotta come to southern Ohio. Tons of pieces.... its the entire good one that's hard to find.

I've been told many of the really big ones (12+ inches) we see in museums are often found upside down and then prepped from the bottom up. This would make spotting one even a bit more difficult.

Funny you should mention the "upside down" positioning.

Just this past Tuesday (1/14/14) the co-owner of Trilobites of America (Covington, KY) (it was on his property where I got the Isotelus' mentioned in this topic) presented at our monthly club meeting (Dayton Gem and Mineral). He discussed the 19 different species of trilobites found in the southern Oh/northern KY area. Lots of great pictures. I don't know how to link to it, but in April 2013 I started a thread about my visit to his facility.

In discussing how they prep their specimans he mentioned that the Isotelus are usually found upside down, with the shell adhering to the matrix. He said that once the rough specimen is back in the lab, he typically de-constructs the specimen (very carefully) and then puts it back together, right side up. Not unusual for the procedure to take 40+ hours.

Edited by hrguy54