Harding Ordovician Micro Fossils

pleecan

Hi Resolution Imaging of micros... used 16X Plan-Apochromatic Zeiss Jena non RMS objective coupled with extension tubes to Pentax K01 on newly constructed Z axis translation stage, multiple frames stacked with Helicon Focus. Scale 1 division = 10 microns. Happy New Year to All!

PL

post-2446-0-14701900-1388747201_thumb.jpg

post-2446-0-52810000-1388747219_thumb.jpg

Happy New Year Peter! Any ideas of which is in the first image? It sort of resembles a half of an ostracod shell "glued" to a substrate.

Acryzona

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

Hi Resolution Imaging of micros... used 16X Plan-Apochromatic Zeiss Jena non RMS objective coupled with extension tubes to Pentax K01 on newly constructed Z axis translation stage, multiple frames stacked with Helicon Focus. Scale 1 division = 10 microns. Happy New Year to All!

PL

Great photography!

Thank you John!

Peter,

Are these micros in loose matrix or do you have to break the matrix down?

Peter,

Are these micros in loose matrix or do you have to break the matrix down?

Hi John: These are acetic acid treated micros that have had the matrix broken down... purchased samples from UK.

Really nice pictures! These are true micros. What is the specimen in the second picture? A worm jaw part?

Marco Sr.

Hi Marco: the yellow object is a Conodont .

That's not yellow, that's GOLDEN. Nice imaging makes such a difference.

Thanks... 28 frames stacked to produce the final image via Helicon Focus..... :)

Nice conodont pix, looks like Drepanodus. How long did it take you to produce the stacked images?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Nice conodont pix, looks like Drepanodus. How long did it take you to produce the stacked images?

Well 28 frames x 8sec each to capture the image with a 15 sec gap between each frame to let the vibrations dampen out ... then Helicon Process on HP i7 Z400 workstation for 15 min.... then post processing GIMP.... for brightness and contrast compensation and calibrate a scale addition another 15min... so estimate of 1hr-1.5 hr per composite image (which includes setup and alignment time).... the images are taken with cross polarized light...

Edited by pleecan

Wow, you have WAY too much time on your hands. I'd be dead by the time I processed my specimens. :D They are cool though.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks