Gastrolith In Coprolite?

PiranhaPirate

Hello All,

I found this unique rock/fossil specimen at a local consignment store. It didn't have any information associated with it. I thought it may be a gastrolith imbedded in a coprolite due to the size and shape of the stone and the layering of the rock around it - but I may be way off. I live in northern Florida so it may have come from somewhere in this region. I would greatly appreciate your help identifying it!

Weight: 170.4g or 6oz
Size: 62mm by 50mm (Just bigger than a golf ball)

post-6476-0-45706600-1388855495_thumb.jpg

post-6476-0-75951800-1388855505_thumb.jpg

post-6476-0-15764900-1388855548_thumb.jpg

post-6476-0-39201200-1388872060_thumb.jpg

post-6476-0-15373900-1388872073_thumb.jpg

Edited by PiranhaPirate

What an interesting item! I see the layering to which you refer, but layering is not something I normally associate with coprolites, so I don't know what to make of it. In the hand, does the remarkable color of the core seem natural?

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It appears to be a stone surrounded by a limy concretion a fairly common occurrence (Limy sea floor, current rolls a rock around and builds up layers of stone around it) especially in Neogene/Pleistocene environments. N.Florida is mostly Miocene or younger, so no dinosaurs. I don't know if ice age critters had gastroliths, so could be one. I know if it was mine I would break it out or dissolve the shell to see what's hidden. My best guess. :)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Hello

Thanks for the response. I thought the black stone looked strange too. So I dipped the specimen into some acetone this afternoon and it came out looking completely different. I have attached some new pictures on my original posting. It also looks like someone coated it with a PVA substance which is now peeling off due to the acetone bath.

I would suspect that someone has painted a pebble in a calcareous concretion with black enamel paint to make it look more desirable/interesting than was the case!

Incidentally, gastroliths are by no means a palaeo-phenomenon. Modern birds with a mainly herbivorous diet – notably ostriches - swallow stones as a digestive aid and so do modern crocodiles, alligators and seals (presumed for buoyancy control).

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Good to know.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks