Sign in to follow this  
Triops808

Thinking About Starting A Fossil Appreciation Club In Hawaii

Triops808

Aloha! Hopefully other Fossil Enthusiasts from Oahu, Hawaii will find this message:) Though we have few fossils in Hawaii, and they are difficult to get to, that doesn't mean we aren't fascinated by prehistoric life and fossil remains! It's our heritage too:) What I was thinking is, even though we can't field collect, we could get together once a month at a library for example, and do fossil preparation using the various kits and unprepped material now available through the magic of the internet:) There is a rock and mineral club here in Hawaii, and like us fossil fans, they find Hawaii very sparse in interesting mineral field finds. But they are a thriving club, as they do lapidary and jewelry making together at their meetings. Why shouldn't we fossil fans do the same?

If any of you are interested in something like this, send me a PM here on The Fossil Forum, and let's brainstorm it and make it happen!

Gerry Lee

foldingorbits

Do it.:)

Triops808

Thank you FoldingOrbits, and I wish you good hunting, fun times, and great friendships as you fossil in Texas:) I just found on another site a description of some of the fossils someone found on the North Shore of Oahu. Crab claws, shells, bony fish jaws and vertebrae, and shark teeth....Shark Teeth! No more sitting around wishing, I will find some Hawaiian fossils! 2014 will be the year! Wish me luck, okay? I will post information if I find anything about the area where they are found.

Trivia: Dr. Sam Gon III of the popular "A Pictorial Guide to the Orders of Trilobites" is a resident of Oahu, Hawaii too:)

sixgill pete

Knightia, I have read somewhere myself about some fossils found on Oahu. However, if I remember correctly they were somewhere on the East side of the Island near Makapuu and the blow hole. But please do not quote me on that. Hawaii is a wonderful place to live, I lived in Kailua for 3 years back in the 1970's and was there 3 years ago with my wife. Wish you luck on your fossil endeavor there.

Auspex

Knightia, I have read somewhere myself about some fossils found on Oahu...

B)

post-423-0-87424600-1389219106_thumb.jpg

Triops808

I thought I heard about fossil shells in the ash beds of Kaena point which is in the area you mention SixGillPete, Sam Gon III once referred me to a couple of books "Volcanoes in the Sea" and "A Roadside Geology of Hawaii" which I am going to re-borrow from the Library this week and study. I understand there are 'Fossil Reefs' out Waianae side, but am unsure exactly what a fossilized reef is to be honest, and have to look into it. Thank you for that great picture Auspex, those are fossil bird remains aren't they? Rare and wonderful! I could probably manage a trip to Kauai if I can find a public collecting site:)

sixgill pete

Here is a link about bird fossils on the island of Oahu at Mokapu point, this is on MCB Hawaii, used to be known as MCAS Kaneohe Bay. Right across the bay from you knightia. Interesting.

http://si-pddr.si.edu/dspace/bitstream/10088/11424/1/vz_james-87-documlabgeollyon-pleistocene_oahu.pdf

Triops808

Thank you for that great link SixGill Pete! 100,000 fossil remains have been found in Hawaii? That's a much bigger number than I'd ever imagined! Kind of neat, I thought fossil bird remains to generally be very rare, but they seem to be less so among Hawaiian fossils, at least it sounds that way to me.

Auspex

One of the caveats about collecting in the Hawaiian Islands is that Hawaiians, and hence the Government, are extremely sensitive about ancient cultural sites (my late sister had hillside property in Kailua Kona, with a lava tube containing artifacts). The famous Kauai Holocene sinkhole site had burials in it, and its excavation and research was accomplished under the most excruciating supervision imaginable (none of that material is in private hands). Mine came (legally) from a small, non-cultural site (thought to be a nesting-site deposit) on southern Kauai. Appeasements were, nonetheless, offered to Pele! :)

Triops808

1/9/2014

Was contacted by Mr. K. Krueger of the Hui Pohaku Rock and Mineral Club here on Oahu, as well as Mr. E. DeCarlo, and they invited me to their monthly meeting last Fridays of most months at a library in town. I will definitely try to go! Mr. Krueger is one of the leading experts on fossils here in Hawaii, and Mr. DeCarlo confirmed some areas I'd read about (Waimanalo, Kaena Point) as fossil reef zones where fossilized shells can be found. If my memory serves me correctly, the reefs are Pleistocene in origin. Though I'm eager to rush out to the North Shore to find shark teeth, where there are marine shells, who knows what else may be found? :) I feel I am on the verge of beginning a great adventure in Hawaii due to the kindness of these men, and am eager to meet them in person. I will keep all of you here updated my friends!

Gerry Lee