KansasFossilHunter

Here are some of my explorations into the artistic side of paleontology:

post-6661-0-59662300-1388950579_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-98477000-1388950590_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-29176900-1388950604_thumb.jpg

Edited by KansasFossilHunter

Very nice!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Here is the only kind of "sculpting" I have done (besides matrix sculpting)

post-6661-0-07976300-1388952464_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-24434900-1388952479_thumb.jpg

Fantastic. What kind of material are you using?

That's just regular clay (the kind you can fire in a kiln). I'd love to branch out to other materials sometime.

Clay like that tends to shrink when it dries out though. But it definitely looks nice.

Edited by LordTrilobite

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

For small teeth, you might try an epoxy putty, such as Milliput, Magic Sculp or Paleo Sculpt. The epoxy putty is ridiculously durable, so lends itself to tiny objects nicely. For the bulk of a sculpt, I use Super Sculpey. A lot of sculptors prefer to use epoxy putty entirely, but it really limits working time, making skill and blending ability of great importance.

The good thing about Super Sculpey is the ability to fine-tune over a large period of time. Walk away from the sculpt for weeks or months on end, and come back to it. That's what I call "fermenting". If you let a sculpt ferment, you will usually notice imperfections you didn't notice previously.

Nick

• I found this Informative 1

For small teeth, you might try an epoxy putty, such as Milliput, Magic Sculp or Paleo Sculpt. The epoxy putty is ridiculously durable, so lends itself to tiny objects nicely. For the bulk of a sculpt, I use Super Sculpey. A lot of sculptors prefer to use epoxy putty entirely, but it really limits working time, making skill and blending ability of great importance.

The good thing about Super Sculpey is the ability to fine-tune over a large period of time. Walk away from the sculpt for weeks or months on end, and come back to it. That's what I call "fermenting". If you let a sculpt ferment, you will usually notice imperfections you didn't notice previously.

Nick

Thanks for the Information! I have some magic sculpt- for replacing missing teeth. I'll have to try some of these out.