Tucson 2014

eaglephot

This will be my first time at the Gem and Mineral Show down in Tucson. I will be looking for new dinosaur material fossils. I am staying right across from the 22nd Street Show for (sadly) only 2 days.

What and where would you recommend I check out for dinosaur fossils?

What shows have the best and worst selection?

Are there any hotel shows that focus on dinosaur or fossil material specifically?

I will be there February 9th-11th.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! Trying to avoid a year of running around not knowing what I am doing. :)

It would be cool to see some photos of dinosaur fossils from previous shows if you want to post any.

Sorry! I just realized I posted this in the Members Collection Forum. If a mod can move it, that would be great. Otherwise, my apologies!

If it is dinosaur teeth you are after, especially great Spinosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus teeth, look no further than 'Geoteachers Fossils and Minerals'. He is at Tucson every year and I highly recommend him.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

You want to check out the shows at the Ramada and Hotel Tucson City Center (especially the ballroom where a few dealers who specialize in dinosaur teeth always set up). The 22nd Street show will also have a couple of dinosaur tooth dealers. Check out the Fossil Co-op as well. I would go to the Hotel Tucson City Center first. Most of the fossils in the whole city will be at those shows. The other shows are almost all gems, jewelry, and minerals.

The bad news is that you will visiting at least a week after the shows have started. The good news is that you may be able to make a better deal for whatever is left than if you got there early. Some collectors arrive at the show days before the official opening because many dealers open at least a couple of days early. I've gone to the show the second weekend and still found some interesting specimens though I don't go after much dinosaur stuff.

This will be my first time at the Gem and Mineral Show down in Tucson. I will be looking for new dinosaur material fossils. I am staying right across from the 22nd Street Show for (sadly) only 2 days.

Are there any hotel shows that focus on dinosaur or fossil material specifically?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! Trying to avoid a year of running around not knowing what I am doing. :)

It would be cool to see some photos of dinosaur fossils from previous shows if you want to post any.

Rich ( January member of the month) has discussed having a FF member get together at his museum in Tucson during the show. Perhaps during your time frame and we could all share notes as to the best places to purchase our desired materials. I'll be there the first weekend, a couple more times the next week and then again Feb 10-13. So check with him. Last I knew no date had been set.

Jim

Old Dead Things

I haven't heard from many people giving me the dates they'll be there.......

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Thanks for the advice all! I am always on the lookout for unique dinosaur material. Tooth wise, I am in the market for a nice Rex tooth and a rooted Carcharodontosaurus tooth. Apart from that, it is whatever I see that I find to be unique to add to my collection. I hear it is better than any museum, but the stuff is all for sale! I am excited. :) Anymore advice, please let me know.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just there and would recommend when you arrive pick up the free 50 page color booklet called Guide to Fossil Events and Dealers in Tuscon, available in the racks by the free shuttle stations. The booklet lists all the products (such as Dino teeth) and who sells them and where they are. This will save you a ton of looking, otherwise it's overwhelming.

Two more bits of advice;

1- don't assume what you see is all there is, some dealers have additional flats of great specimens that may not be readily apparent.

2- if you are courteous and polite, and show genuine interest, you will get far better deals than what the marked price is, like 20% off and sometimes half price.

Also, regarding the tooth you're after, rumor is that a new site is producing large quantities that will be hitting the market in the not too distant future.

I'm over at the 22nd Street Show this year and we actually have a couple dinosaur specimen, bone, and teeth sellers, more than last year and a couple first timers with their own unique material.

Nettuno is correct, the AAPS Guide to Fossil Dealers is a great start for organizing your time in Tucson.

Rich, I am still open to a get together, I am planning on attending the AAPS event on Sat night if anyone is going to that.

Hi Eagleplot,

I just came back from Tucson, this being my first time as well, and just like you only stayed for two days! I highly recommend going to the show at Hotel Tucson City Center, where I scored a lot of goodies. Tucson 22nd Street also had some good stuff, at least when I was there! Oracle has some big shops but lots are wholesale or complete skeletal models. I'm sure you'll find some great fossils from the 5000+ dealers there no matter where you go in the end ;)

Best of luck!

SP

Archived