Is This A Whale Vertebrae?

shark96

Hi, i am new at this forum, and i would like that you help to identify this vertebrae. The guy that found it said that it was from a whale, but i am not pretty sure it is.

I would like to know if it is from a whale or other animal; Also, if it is from a whale i would like to know the spicie.

post-14175-0-41967200-1389128850_thumb.jpg

post-14175-0-87840500-1389128851_thumb.jpg

post-14175-0-98432300-1389128852_thumb.jpg

not a whale... neck vertebra of a land mammal. I think it is too big to be deer.. I am guessing cow or horse. Rich?

looks similar to woolly rhino verts I have had but its not fossilized or even slightly mineralized so I think its modern. maybe rhino or a relative. lucky rind if it is rhino because they are hard to find and acquire as they are illegal.

Post your Proboscidea!!!!!

Cow, me thinks.

post-423-0-08099600-1389135383_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes, a juvenile Bos. Equus doesn't have any significant neural spine on the cervical vertebrae.

Rich

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

It's definitely not any kind of rhino. It could be cow, auroch or bison. Sometimes on the internet these kinds of verts are misidentified as rhino.

I'm not as familiar with bovids as with rhino. But I think this is a neck vertebra. Depending on the age you could possibly eliminate auroch and bison.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

It is a fresh bone - note that the intervertebral cartilage disk is present, connecting the vertebra to the next epiphyseal disk. Since there aren't any bison herds in Mexico, that pretty much leaves Bos as the only choice.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".