Permian Of Nsw Australia

kauffy

Well i know many of you have seen some of these pictures and localities, but i know many have not. I figure will show you all the sort of Permian exposures and fossils i have been to, they are all around a 2-3 hour drive from sydney Australia and are all different formations representing different fauna. Basically this is a little Permian overview!!

Site1, Near Singleton, Hunter Valley.This site exposes a small section of rock that contains a rare bivalve Eurydesma. Found only in +-10 sites on the East coast of Australia, India, and Antartica. The beds at this site include on large 30-40cm thick volcanic grit full of Eurydesma, the beds above and below this are a 'sticky mudstone' that is very soft (but is very dense) making it hard to hammer into. There is a sequence below which is exposed on the railroad tracks about 100m from this site, which is basically a massive layer of these bivalves with glacial dropstones. Also Abundant were gastropods and other clam species.

Site2, Mulbring Quarry, Hunter Valley. This site exposes the Mulbring siltsones, a type formation that is known for its extreamly fossiliferou sediments. The fenestella beds in particluar. Every rock in this quarry has fossils in it. These include: Brachiopods, Clams, Gastropods, Rare Trilobites, crinoids, Bryazoa and rare solitary corals. The site is the type locality for a rare trilobite (the last of its kind before the permio-triassic extinction)

Site3, Kangaroo Valley, South Coast. In this area i have found rare silcified wood specimins from the Barrenjowy sandstone, as well as an odd marine depositional exposure which really needs to be investigated further...As far as i know, there have been no recorded marine fossils from this area, i found a bed of brachiopods in a low lying level of the valley in a stream. But did not have enough time to collect or explore.

Site4, Central Coast. Permian plant fossils are abundant, there is a bed of grey shales about 3m thick, which is full of fossilised wood, and Glossopteris leaves. I found a very thin layer of red ironstone within these shales that was packed full of glossopteris. Around 5 different species of Glossopteris were found, as well as lots of squished Glossopterid wood and a couple of the rare Gangamopteris leaves were found. Glossopteris fruit were also found.

Site5, South Coast, Late Permian. This site exposes the Gerringong Volcanics, the fossils here are similar to site1 there are a few Eurydesma on the lowest levels of the rock platform but i only noted 2, no others. The fauna here were found in a small layer on the cliff face which was only about .2-1m in width. These fossils were found within the hard volcanic grits and most predomonant were the unusually large Brachiopods and Bryazoans.

Site6, Near the town of berry, the fossils here were found in a layer on a large outcrop of siltstone and shale. The fauna here were very small and included a still unidentified fossil which is like a connularid, but could be a penshell or even a cepholapod of some sort? also found were small clams and Brachiopods.

post-142-1231123837_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231123888_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231124160_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231124189_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231124423_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231124563_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231124585_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231124817_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231124835_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231124858_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231124987_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231125038_thumb.jpg

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Pictures for site 4,5.

post-142-1231125279_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231125315_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231125369_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231125404_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231125430_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231125516_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231125576_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231125639_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bmore!!

Site 5 continued and 6.

post-142-1231125860_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231125881_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231125919_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231125965_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231126000_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231126063_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231126088_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231126126_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231126176_thumb.jpg

wow that first picture is awsome, what camera do you use?

I think it was my old Panasonic Lumix, great camera. All of these pics are quite old, all of the fossils are in boxes at the moment. Some of the pics are a bit cruddy i know, but i figured i would post them anyway!

Great post, great fossils!

The seacliff picture is other-worldly :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
I think it was my old Panasonic Lumix, great camera. All of these pics are quite old, all of the fossils are in boxes at the moment. Some of the pics are a bit cruddy i know, but i figured i would post them anyway!

yea i was afraid to post again thought you might have more pictures, yea lumix are nice, I think we have one somewhere, as matter of fact I sometimes use it to take pictures of my finds.

Great post, great fossils!

The seacliff picture is other-worldly :)

thanks Auspex, here are a few more coastal pics that i have taken here and there. (ps all are copyrighted, ask me if you want to use them!)

post-142-1231126873_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231126932_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231126949_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231126979_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231127013_thumb.jpg

post-142-1231127181_thumb.jpg

yea i was afraid to post again thought you might have more pictures, yea lumix are nice, I think we have one somewhere, as matter of fact I sometimes use it to take pictures of my finds.

Yeah those ones above were taken with it, i still havent perfected the fossil picture technique...im looking into a new camera now, im thinking Nikon... but not sure yet.

thanks Auspex, here are a few more coastal pics that i have taken here and there. (ps all are copyrighted, ask me if you want to use them!)

OK, I wanna' go there!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey Kauffy Kid. Where have you been hiding? Havent heard much from you lately. Looks like youve been rather busy lately. If your gunna be busy, at least your busy with fossils. Can I ask what is in the picture 2nd row 3rd one over from the left in your 1st post?

RB

Hey Kauffy Kid. Where have you been hiding? Havent heard much from you lately. Looks like youve been rather busy lately. If your gunna be busy, at least your busy with fossils. Can I ask what is in the picture 2nd row 3rd one over from the left in your 1st post?

RB

Great photos, Chris!

Where have you been anyway? We've missed you.

Thanks guys, was super busy over christmas and new years, relatives are exhausting! :P but im back on now!

Ron, thats a slab full of brachiopods, they are internal moulds of the productid brach Terrakea sp. ( i think, its kinda hard with moulds to be exact) also on the slab there are some fennestella bryzoa on the left of the pic.

I will try to post some more pics asap! theres one more permian site which i havent mentioned, all the fossils are in boxes and i have no pictures of the site or the fossils but i will show you soon!

Cheers

Archived