Fossil In A Huge Rock

BudB

I was in my kayak on the Brazos River last Saturday when I saw these fossils in a Volkswagen size boulder. The first photo shows most of the rock. The second is a full res closeup of the fossils. Any idea what they are?

ffossil5_zps509f1ea7.jpg

ffossil4_zpsdc8d3110.jpg

Edited by BudB

Looks like rudists to me. Giant, multi-chambered, irregularly curved, re-crystallized thick walls. If so, it might be a block of Edwards Limestone.

Oh, those tricky rudists...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think a rudist is likely also. Isn't most of the Brazos River area Eocene? If so,that would make a cephalopod unlikely.

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The Brazos pretty much runs through several different ages as it snakes it's way southward.

Does it run through Paleozoic?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

It will provide more clues if the general area along the Brazos was known. Up above Lake Granbury you can find Pennsylvanian aged deposits; along and below the lake, Cretaceous rocks dominate for miles.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

In one area, the Brazos exposes a strata that seems to be evidence of the tsunami created by the Chixulub meteorite impact.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I forwarded the photos to Dr. Robert Scott, who is an expert on rudists. He replied that these are caprinid rudists, with one specimen in longitudinal section and the other in an oblique section that shows tabulae formed at successive growth stages. They are common in the Lower Cretaceous Edwards Limestone, which is exposed in this area. Thanks, Bob!

• I found this Informative 2