Middle Devonian Brachiopod Id

collector

Hi. I was wondering if it is possible to ID the brachiopods in this fossil from the imprints. I was looking in "Devonian Paleontology of New York" and thought that they looked similar to Tropidoleptus carinatus on plate 66. Can anyone tell if this is right or wrong?

Thanks for looking.

Patti

post-13012-0-54599400-1389372820_thumb.jpg

Yup Tropidoleptus. You can see by looking at this plate how they got their name. These brachs must have bred like rabbits in the Middle Devonian.

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Thanks squalicorax. There was a quick little roadside project in my area and I was able to pull a few things out. Too bad it was so quick. I am going to look again before it gets grown over in the Spring. Spring, it seems so far away with the weather the way it's been.

Patti

Thanks mikeymig. There was more than one piece laying around. I wonder how large an area they covered there. They must have been as happy as well..... clams until the sea retreated.

Patti

I disagree with Tropidoleptus. The shell is too narrow and the radial ribs too strong. It's also in what looks like a black shale. In my experience those are Eumetabolotoechia cf. multicostum which is a type of Leiorhynconellid and is common in reduced oxygen environments that are indicative of black shale deposits. Click on the link for an example of an inflated specimen from the Widder formation, Hungry Hollow, Ontario, Canada.

And this link will take you to Tropidoleptus carinatus from the Kashong Shale of NY and also a few specimens from the Mahantango formation of PA.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the input Shamalama. I read up some on Eumetabolotoechia and it sure looks like it could be it.

Patti

Archived