Burgess Shale Critters - Artwork

jhw

First off, great work guys! Some really impressive art in this section. Here's a piece I collaborated on with the eminent Sam Gon Ohu III. We did this over 10 years ago, but have gotten many requests to use it in a variety of media over the years, (recently in a text book) so I kind of dust it off a little each time and thought I'd post it here. Full explanation is on Sam's excellent trilobite site and can be found here: http://www.trilobites.info/triloclass.htm%C2'>

post-2182-0-96460400-1389382056_thumb.jpg

I love Burgess Shale life recreations! Wow, you know Dr. Sam Gon III? I've emailed him a couple of times with questions, he's really nice! He's a real Trilo-Hero of mine:) Great artwork, I'd love to see some of your more recent pieces too:)

Thanks guys! @aetobatus, yeah, Sam's a great guy. When it comes to bugs, he's the man! Looks like you 2 are neighbors. He's at the nature conservancy in Honolulu. Glad to oblige on some more doodles. Regards, JW

post-2182-0-47184500-1389387169_thumb.jpgpost-2182-0-65474300-1389387241_thumb.jpgpost-2182-0-56670500-1389387469_thumb.jpg

post-2182-0-10038000-1389387484_thumb.jpgpost-2182-0-27566400-1389387513_thumb.jpgpost-2182-0-40759200-1389387531_thumb.jpg

post-2182-0-11403100-1389387197_thumb.jpg

Edited by jhw

:wub:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Nice work! Are these illustrations for children's picture books? They look great.

Mike G

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Thanks! Actually I did most of these for illustration contests on Worth1000.com. I guess my style is rather "child like" though. Ha, ha.

Thanks guys! @aetobatus, yeah, Sam's a great guy. When it comes to bugs, he's the man! Looks like you 2 are neighbors. He's at the nature conservancy in Honolulu. Glad to oblige on some more doodles. Regards, JW

attachicon.gif1.jpg

I love the look on that nautiloid. It's all like "I forgot something...".

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Hi again JHW, those art works are fantastic:) I love the color work, and I love fanciful fantasy art of dinosaurs with people, and especially that winged trilobite too! What dinosaur is that chasing the dragonfly? Is it Ornitholestes? Have you submitted your work to 'Prehistoric Times' magazine?

thanks for sharing these works of art here, I had come to enjoy several through internet searches, they are always a breath of fresh air, one can't help but stop and take them in :)

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

I have seen some of your illustrations, jhw, in different publications, and have enjoyed them. I am glad to put a face to the artist :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks Auspex! I'm happy to be involved with this community, if only in a small way. You guys do a great job running this site! Really nice mix of information and interesting characters!

I'm loving this new section of the forum.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I wanted to say the same thing as Auspex - seen that pic in various places, nice to 'meet' the artist!