Bandera Tx Trip Jan 26Th: Invitation

JamieLynn

HI ya'll! A few of us Texas hunters here on FF are planning on doing a day trip down to Bandera TX on Sunday Jan 26th. We would like to invite any who are interested to join us. We will meet at 10am at the Dairy Queen on Highway 16 in Bandera. There are two road cuts we hope to find/visit and the possibility of touring a friends Lake Medina property (they are not fossil hunters, so I cannot verify whether we will find anything or not....). Please post here if you are interested so we have an idea of how many to expect. Expect a morning to afternoon hunt and a late lunch! Cheers! Jamie Lynn

ps. we are also going to be having a little meeting concerning the formation of a Hill County Fossil Club, so if you want to stick around for that.....

Darn, I already have plans for that day. Good luck with the hunt.

Also very interested in hearing more about the possibility of a new fossil club.

• 2 weeks later...

I will do my best to make it. I got pneumonia of all things and had a nasty reaction to some antibiotics the dr gave me. Recovering fine now.

Sorry I missed you all by running late. Me and the girlfriend went to Austin. Maybe had a little too much fun. :)

I tried to contact you Jaime via this site but no luck. We decided to head that way anywho.

My apologies once again.

I hope you found everything!!

I just saw this, but we would have loved to join you. Hope you had a great day. It was beautiful here. Almost 70! We hunted a local creek exposure in shorts.

well, it ended up just being myself and a friend I dragged along with me, so fortunately I had someone to hunt with! Found a GREAT spot for "deer heart" clams, all kinds of gastros and some beautiful RED fossils....I'll post those later. We found a couple of decent road cuts for other bivalves and such. I found a really nice catspaw shell in BLACK, too....that was unusual.

So since it was just me, we did not have a meeting for the Hill County Fossil Club. We need to schedule that for another time.

JamieLynn,

Sounds like you had fun despite the low turnout. I would have loved to join you all as I know a few spots around Bandera as well. But I had been collecting with the Paleontological Society of Austin (PSA) on Saturday and Sunday I was attending a Chinese New Year celebration. Happy year of the Horse!

Currently I am the president of PSA and would be very happy to help the Hill Country Fossil Club with anything they need. Pointers on meetings, memberships, field trips, etc., we do it all up here in Austin. I know San Marcos isn't that much further south, but it has always surprised me that there is no paleo society in San Antonio. Certainly lots of great fossils to collect down that way.

Take care and maybe we can meet up on another occasion at one site or another.

Erich

Thanks so much Erich! We'll get something going eventually, and I would love to get some general idea on how to do a club, but in the meantime I do want to join the PSA- just need to get my rear in gear. I would very much like to get together sometime for some hunting here a bit closer to home. :)