Sponge Spicule-Meshwork

Evgeny Kotelevsky

Can you make an identification of a sponge by the Spicule-Meshwork alone?

Marco Sr.

You can identify it, if your sponge have preserved spicule-meshwork, because each sponge genus (not species) has it's own unique spicule-meshwork!

You can identify it, if your sponge have preserved spicule-meshwork, because each sponge genus (not species) has it's own unique spicule-meshwork!

Is there a good paper or book or website that shows a good number of sponge spicule-meshworks that can help with the genus identification of sponges?

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Is there a good paper or book or website that shows a good number of sponge spicule-meshworks that can help with the genus identification of sponges?

Marco Sr.

There're pieces of information (photos, drawings of spicule-meshwork) in different sources, but I've never seen any book or website completely devoted to spicule-meshwork... May be in future somebody would join together all pieces of this "puzzle" and release a book with photo plates ))))

• 1 year later...

Evgeny Kotelevsky please email me your ground address so I can send you a collection of sponges for trade that we have previously discussed.

Regards,

Jim Wyatt

email: jcwyatt3169 (at) att.net

very cool pix!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks