Sign in to follow this  
The Count of Cabezon

Ghost Ranch?

The Count of Cabezon

Aside from trying to dominate this category in the forums, I am also trying to put together a list of sites that I can hunt at here in New Mexico, as I have occasion to travel randomly about the state. I remember Bones suggesting Ghost Ranch as a place that had good fossils in NM, but for some reason I had thought it was private and was off limits? Anyone know otherwise? I'd love to get out there, but I feel awkward asking permission or getting in trouble...

Thanks!

Fossilcollector

Hi,

As I recall (I've been to ghost ranch twice, last in 2004), Ghost Ranch is a private retreat and so all the land they own is private and they don't allow fossil collecting because they do research on the retreat.

However, they do have their own fossil museum and it's really worth a visit. They find massive blocks of Ceolophysis material!

Also, the researcher there could offer up local places where you could possibly collect. Possibly going up and down the highway looking at roadcuts would be fruitful.

-YvW

Aside from trying to dominate this category in the forums, I am also trying to put together a list of sites that I can hunt at here in New Mexico, as I have occasion to travel randomly about the state. I remember Bones suggesting Ghost Ranch as a place that had good fossils in NM, but for some reason I had thought it was private and was off limits? Anyone know otherwise? I'd love to get out there, but I feel awkward asking permission or getting in trouble...

Thanks!

The Count of Cabezon

Thank you for the info!

isurus90064

Anyone here interested in sharing contact info? I've been accumulating a list of New Mexico contacts ... I'll share all contact info with everyone on that list. It could be a good way to build a local community. I may also be nice to organize some collecting trips as a group.

If interested please email me at my yahoo address (see profile).

Tr-J-K

Ghost Ranch is private, and last time I was there only allowed researchers to get into the dirt there. It is primarily surrounded by Forest Service land, but there is a Army Corp of Engineers dam/lake nearby and some private land down around Abiquiu and the river.

Wolf13542

Is this the one with the mass extinction of ceolophysis? I had a book on that place when I was a kid and read it all the time! But, as far as I know it isn't open for public digging.

2ynpigo

Yes. This is the place where a number of ceolophysis skeletons were found.

It's not open for public digging.

Is this the one with the mass extinction of ceolophysis? I had a book on that place when I was a kid and read it all the time! But, as far as I know it isn't open for public digging.

Nandomas

Ghost Ranch gate pictures ;)

post-1112-0-14349800-1293317914_thumb.jpg

DD1991

Ghost Ranch isn't just a single plain quarry along the banks of the Abiquiu Reservoir. While the Coelophysis quarry found in 1947 is publicly well-known because of its huge accumulation of Coelophysis skeletons, there are other fossil sites in Ghost Ranch yielding dinosaur fossils. The Hayden Quarry hosts fossils of theropods and the closest relatives of dinosaurs, including lagerpetonids and silesaurs. The Snyder Quarry is another fossil site in Ghost Ranch, yielded fossils of Coelophysis and a large theropod, as well as a close relative of the putative herrerasaur Caseosaurus. Add to that the recent discovery of Daemonosaurus shows that the Ghost Ranch theropod fauna is heterogeneous (the type horizon for Daemonosaurus is a bit older than the type horizon of Tawa hallae, so there may be specimens of Daemonosaurus waiting to be found at Hayden Quarry). If there's a new interesting aspect of Ghost Ranch, it's one of a few sites in the southwestern US where theropods coexisted with their closest relatives, the lagerpetonids and silesaurs.