Skippy's Freaky Adventures On Vancouver Island

skippythefossilfreak

there are so many freaky fossils to be found here in the comox valley here are a few freaky pics

post-14180-0-17073200-1389741375_thumb.jpg

post-14180-0-23839300-1389741439_thumb.jpg

post-14180-0-47296700-1389741467_thumb.jpg

post-14180-0-39816400-1389741544_thumb.jpg

post-14180-0-23242800-1389741712_thumb.jpg

Dude.. you have got some great fossils in there. Thanks for sharing. I've seen your freaky videos, but never seen any prepped finds. Cool.

Dang, Skip, you've been busy! Puts my collection to shame, I have got to get up to the Trent one of these days, I'm getting tired of fragile, baked, distorted Cowichan fossils.. Looks like maybe you've got 2 types of Hyphantoceras there?

Did you get a new account? Thought you had more than 5 posts.

Hey Skippy

Yes indeed you do have some spectacular heteromorph ammonites and those crab and lobster guys are wow. Sorry I missed you again this past summer while I was up there.

Steve

Holy shucks Skip, those are some really wild growth patterned stuff. My compliments to you and the island! Very nice!

Thanks for showing them wild critters! Regards, Chris

Excellent fossils!

Thanks for posting them, Skip!

Stay freaky!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That's one of the finer collections of North American cephalopods I've seen on TFF. The starfish, crabs, and lobsters are also byond neat. Looks like a bunch of fossils of the month there. All nicely displayed. Big congrats!!!!

• I found this Informative 1

I love the first pic! A fresh find with the outcrop background. There's a lot of info in one photo. Has that specimen been prepped?

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Man, you're really making me miss Vancouver Island collecting. I never found any complete Bostrychoceras, and only got one Glyptoxoceras with the helical part, and it looks like you've got a hundred of each! I never saw a trace of a starfish, nor a Prionocycloceras. Wow, your collection is fantastic.

I assume you have licked each and every specimen.

Don

Man, you're really making me miss Vancouver Island collecting. I never found any complete Bostrychoceras, and only got one Glyptoxoceras with the helical part, and it looks like you've got a hundred of each! I never saw a trace of a starfish, nor a Prionocycloceras. Wow, your collection is fantastic.

I assume you have licked each and every specimen.

Don

A complete Bostrychoceras is a rare thing! (always a bit missing), I have never found any... I thought there would be more complete Bostrys than Glyptoxes though - and West Coast Fossils (1997) mentions that no complete Glyptoxes have ever been found on the Island - but I was surprised to see how many of them they have been finding up in the Comox Valley since that time! (I think most of them were Skip's come to think of it)

The Prionocycloceras I understand is from a Coniacian site up there somewhere, being keep close to certain people's chests... right Skippy? I didn't know we had any Coniacian on the Island until I saw those.

Edited by Wrangellian

no that prino as found loose in the puntledge i have found a couple other prinos up the mountain but there dark in colour.no idea why it was there

i always love to take my freaky friends out on freaky adventures so look this freak up if your on vancouver island

no that prino as found loose in the puntledge i have found a couple other prinos up the mountain but there dark in colour.no idea why it was there

i always love to take my freaky friends out on freaky adventures so look this freak up if your on vancouver island

Same to u if u ever make it to Washington state I can take u to a few spots I know ;)

there are so many freaky fossils to be found here in the comox valley here are a few freaky pics

The kissing-cephalopod-dog-tongue photo is epic.

Context is critical.

Just don't lick the same thing at the same time! yecch

The Puntledge, eh? Is there any Coniacian strata further upstream? I checked Sepkoski and it says no later than lower Coniacian for that genus, so something interesting going on there..