Bridgeport Spillway, Tx

fossil man

I know most of you thought i forgot, died, or didn't ask. Sorry but with the holidays being crazy for me and the TRWD being off work some days it was hard to get in contact with them. But i finally got a hold of someone. I talk to the lake manager, told him who i was and that i was interested in getting a club trip together at the spillway (i did mention web site). I told him that we not interested in the part that holds water year around but down stream. I was not sure of the exact location of the picture in the previous post (sorry could not find it). I will PM Lance as soon as I get done with this post. The lake manager sounds like he will work with us. He seemed some what concern about the alligators, but hopefully with some directions to a location we can get rid of this concern. I told him that i thought that all attendents would be 18 and over, I hope that wont exclude anyone? We talked about how many people would be there i told him about 20, which i dont think is a definite number, but i was just trying to go off what i guessed from the last forum trip. I told him that we would be willing to sign any kind of liablity form, i hope thats ok will all. He asked how long of a trip, i told our last trip was from like 9 to 12 or 1. On another high note he said they dont usually let people in there, so if we do get in there hopefully it will be rich will fossils. We didn't discuss dates. Nothing has been approved or set in stone, but i just wanted to let all know that there was a chance we might get in. So as soon as I get directions to location, or location description I will hopefully have some positive news. Well thats all the good news at the time. Hope all had good holidays and hope to talk about a date the next time I post.

Definitely put me on the list fossil man. Thanks for the effort trying to put this together. It sounds promising! Keep us posted.

What can you find there? It's a very long drive for me, so I want to make sure it's worth it for me :faint:

What can you find there? It's a very long drive for me, so I want to make sure it's worth it for me :faint:

Cool - let us know what dates you are looking at.

I'm starting to look at organizing another forum trip to either NSR, Midlothian or Mineral Wells/Jacksboro.

Any input would be great. Dates are likely around spring break or shortly there after.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

I'm starting to look at organizing another forum trip to either NSR, Midlothian or Mineral Wells/Jacksboro.

Any input would be great. Dates are likely around spring break or shortly there after.

Count me in.!! Chase if you want to connect around Austin I'll drive up from there. I'm also up for a NSR trip any time. I'm unemployed right now! Let's GO.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Count me in.!! Chase if you want to connect around Austin I'll drive up from there. I'm also up for a NSR trip any time. I'm unemployed right now! Let's GO.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey now that sounds like a plan to me! Sounds like it'd be a fun trip :D

Hey now that sounds like a plan to me! Sounds like it'd be a fun trip :D
Cool count me in . I'd be more than happy to drive!

I wouldn't mind tagging along for that trip too.

If i remeber right when lance made the original post i think and dont quote me you might ask lance but i think he said echinoids and something else, obviously the echinoids caught my attention. As far as a date, i guess if we wanted to put the horse before the cart, maybe middle febuary or is that soon and possibly to cold????

I'm in on the trips. If there is not an age limit it will be me and my 13 year old son. If there is an age limit it will just be me.

Thanks,

Lyle

Alligators ...that far NW!!!!!! Sounds fishy to me?

If you get permission I'm in.

Sounds like an untapped fossil resource.

Alligators ...that far NW!!!!!! Sounds fishy to me?

If you get permission I'm in.

Sounds like an untapped fossil resource.

Maybe there are actually some small mosasaurs in the lake... B)

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Fossil Man,

The original post is here in the Geology section: Lake Bridgeport spillway. The locality is the 1658 bridge just north of the dam.

Well, since you've taken the ball and made a request for a group you'll have to keep us updated and stuff. I never actually intended the original post as a possible group hunt because I assumed an automatic "NO" from the authorities. I just thought it was a cool place and posted a picture. Now it's a whole big thing with everyone and their uncle wanting to get in. :unsure:

Roz has already contacted them and is waiting a reply. I ask that noone else contact them.

In three years in the DPS I've never heard of anyone ever being allowed in there or it ever being brought up as a place that someone could get in. As far as fossils I personally don't have a clue if the spot actually HAS fossils anyways. Dan referenced some but don't know if he was kidding or not. The thing with the Pennsylvanian layers here is that much of it is VERY lenticular, certain layers or even fossil zones can only exist in pockets of limited distance. These layers maybe super-rich at one end of the lake BUT devoid at that spot...

I guess the people to ask would be Mark McKenzie and John McLeod since they wrote the guide book mentioned in the original post. Although, I'm a bit warey of notifying more "professional" people because they can have a tendency to shut out "amatuers" by raising red-flags with authorities for whatever reason.

Lance

As I side note I do think it's interesting how this internet forum has become sort of a virtual paleontogical society with all the info and pictures exchanged and field trips. It's interesting uncharted waters.

Fossil Man,

The original post is here in the Geology section: Lake Bridgeport spillway. The locality is the 1658 bridge just north of the dam.

Well, since you've taken the ball and made a request for a group you'll have to keep us updated and stuff. I never actually intended the original post as a possible group hunt because I assumed an automatic "NO" from the authorities. I just thought it was a cool place and posted a picture. Now it's a whole big thing with everyone and their uncle wanting to get in. :unsure:

Roz has already contacted them and is waiting a reply. I ask that noone else contact them.

In three years in the DPS I've never heard of anyone ever being allowed in there or it ever being brought up as a place that someone could get in. As far as fossils I personally don't have a clue if the spot actually HAS fossils anyways. Dan referenced some but don't know if he was kidding or not. The thing with the Pennsylvanian layers here is that much of it is VERY lenticular, certain layers or even fossil zones can only exist in pockets of limited distance. These layers maybe super-rich at one end of the lake BUT devoid at that spot...

I guess the people to ask would be Mark McKenzie and John McLeod since they wrote the guide book mentioned in the original post. Although, I'm a bit warey of notifying more "professional" people because they can have a tendency to shut out "amatuers" by raising red-flags with authorities for whatever reason.

Lance

Lance,

I am sorry I by no means meant to step on any toes, if you dont want me to go through with it I am sorry. I just though if it is supposed to be such a potential good spot that hey maybe we can get another group trip there, after all i never think it hurts to ask. I will most definitly keep everyone informed. Once again i by no means meant to undo what Roz is doing. I guess i have learned my lesson and will consult the person posting before i run with an idea. I hope all works out will with Roz.

I agree. However, it could be possible. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rangemapx.gif

It looks like that tip of green on the range may come close,but I'd have to see the gators for myself to concede on this one.The farthest I have heard of is the Lake Lewisville area and the tributaries that feed it from the north a little ways into Little Elm. I wonder if Bridgeport is a power plant lake? Anyways I hope this trip comes to fruition!

Here is my only tip, not sure if it applies to crocodiles or gators, but when you are running from them, do not run in a straight line. Run ZigZag, because they cannot turn without stopping and turning. This is what I have heard and have never tested.

Here is my only tip, not sure if it applies to crocodiles or gators, but when you are running from them, do not run in a straight line. Run ZigZag, because they cannot turn without stopping and turning. This is what I have heard and have never tested.

Hee Heee.. tell that to the Spectacled Caiman that I had for sometime!

He could do a backflip while running... just trying to sink those daggers into me.

Now maybe this applies to an adult gator or croc...

I'd hate to have to put it to the test :o

ok, lessee, i think i got's a plan. this is one of those solo-group-kinda-probably-won't-get-in-but-if-we-do- someone's-gonna-have-to-run-zig-zag-to-lead-the-psyched-out-gators-away-from-those-who'll-be-grabbing-the-fossils kind of trips, isn't it?

ok, listen, this trip has piqued my interest in a way that others have not. arrange a depredation permit for me and i'll deal with the gators and you can have all the fossils... and see if you can also arrange for the gators to be wearing these <tossing a big burlap bag on the ground, from the open mouth of which fall out several gator-size bear costumes>

Well, I received a very friendly no, since it is a restricted area from the communications

officer that governs Bridgeport.

I have never heard of alligators in that area but find

that interesting.

Welcome to the forum!

You people must think i am one werid-o, LOL. But i promise that the gentlemen I talked to said there were gators, I dont know if these are personal accouts, reported accounts, or what. I dont know if these are supposed natural migration or supposed pet releases. I find it very funny, that if nothing else, this post has really generated interest in the disperson of gators, maybe its me but its just funny. Roz I hate to hear that you didnt get permission. I hope that i was by no means a factor to the denial of your request. Well hopefully with a little bit of luck you can still get your chance to get in.

You people must think i am one werid-o, LOL. But i promise that the gentlemen I talked to said there were gators, I dont know if these are personal accouts, reported accounts, or what. I dont know if these are supposed natural migration or supposed pet releases. I find it very funny, that if nothing else, this post has really generated interest in the disperson of gators, maybe its me but its just funny. Roz I hate to hear that you didnt get permission. I hope that i was by no means a factor to the denial of your request. Well hopefully with a little bit of luck you can still get your chance to get in.

They asked if I knew you, then said no... LOL Just kidding.

I don't think you are crazy about the gators either..

The slides can be seen in a nature center very close to where I live.

Haven't seen any though...YET

Welcome to the forum!