What A Perfect Day In South Florida

Midnight Contender

What a great day. We thought it would be too cold to get in the water. The Dopey Digger team are a bunch of pansy Floridians. The thought of outside weather below 70 degrees usually scares us all away.

There was frost everywhere this morning. I was ready to curl over and go back to sleep.The lure of teeth waiting to be found could not be ignored. Got some great stuff to add to our collection.

I surprised all of us by being one of the first ones in. As soon as Shrek saw I was in....that was all she wrote. No way Fiona was going to out do him. Puss in Boots was right there behind grabbing the shovel; Donkey just kept dry and talked, and talked, and talked from the shore.

The pictures aren't too great, but they are all typical Peace River finds.

Apparently our method of digging is novel. We "team" dig. We all participate in digging and sorting. All finds go into a big pile. When we get home (if it's late it may be a few days) we all get back together and take turns at the pick of the litter. It works for us because we all live very close, are not in the slightest greedy (yuk) and have known each other for a long time.

Shrek loves being able to move unmovable things, Puss in Boots loves meg teeth, I love micro fossils, and Donkey just loves to be there so he can talk, and talk and talk....teehee.

post-14249-0-82480000-1390185861_thumb.jpgpost-14249-0-03047500-1390185907_thumb.jpgpost-14249-0-87689900-1390185933_thumb.jpg

The comaraderie of friends is priceless. I don't think I could wait days though to pick and sort out the finds... I'd be too excited in anticipation of wanting to see what we found. If you like micro-fossils you should be enjoying all the pics folks have been posting as they sort through their Peace river material.

Get a 4mm Wetsuit Jacket (covers 1/2 thigh), a knitted skullcap, and scuba gloves. You will not have to worry about the cold. The key is to avoid the wind chill above the waterline.

The water is always warmer than the air and if you can keep your core warm, your calves can be protected by the warmer water and blood circulation.

Nice finds. I love the sand tigers -- relatively rare in the Peace.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks for your thoughts. Scuba gloves never occurred to me. The only problem I foresee is finding Shrek size gloves (Mother says he has hands like dinner plates teehee).

We are all so exhausted by the time we get home, picking is not a priority. Unpacking, showering and eating are the only things we want. We all know our loot isn't going anywhere. With four of us collecting, it can take a while to sort through. Also we sift with 1/2" screen on top of a 1/4" so I can satisfy my micro fossil bug that has bitten.

My husband and I pick through and sort them so it is easy to see the really good stuff. We have a large back porch table, so we spread our finds out there. We then discuss and admire them for days until all four of us are back together.

The Dopey Digger name came from our uneducated guesses at what we were finding. If some of you could have been a fly on the wall a couple of years ago, I'm sure you would have fits of laughter. We enjoy laughing at ourselves and each other; hence the nick names that fit us all.

Lordy can Donkey talk, and talk, and talk.........