Trilobite Paperweight

mikeymig

I met a fellow fossil collector in my hometown (Rochester, NY) who makes glass paperweights. He has a workshop at his home where he creates his art and gives them away for free to museum stores around the country. I have seen his work before and I was surprised to find out that he lives here in Rochester. I went to his house to see some of his fossil collection that is limited to top notch pieces on display around his home. He has a complete Ichthyosaur and a complete 6' plus pyritized crinoid from Holzmaden Germany as well as very large ammonites from England and Russia. He also has huge quartz crystal pieces and a recent giant clam. His living room has a 12' deep fishpond in the floor full of 50 lb Koi of various colors. After my visit he gave me this styilized trilobite paperweight. I have it on a lighted display base and took pictures of it both with the light on and off.

Pretty cool right?

Mikey

post-7129-0-29880700-1390236644_thumb.jpg

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

That is pretty neat... does he sell them? A koi pond in the living room? Does it smell at all or does he have to worry about mildew?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

That is pretty neat... does he sell them? A koi pond in the living room? Does it smell at all or does he have to worry about mildew?

no smell at all. The "pond" is more of a pool that is filtered. The pool is painted black and his floor is black slate. The water is so clean and still that the fish look as if they are floating in the air.

Mikey

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Wow Mikey, Thank You for sharing!

Beautiful paperweight!

My koi are in my basement right now in a black plastic pond for the winter. Going to get -14 tonight and the fish and pond give me a wonderful retreat. Also adds humidity to the air. :) In the summer they are outside of course.

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Bev! What a great idea, but my cat would love it tooooooo much! I have the house plants to cheer me up.

I have pictures on my fossil blog as I have fossils around it. :) Also, I have a small "creek" that I use for watering the dogs and cats, with fossils on it, on the blog. Excellent for house plants too!

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

nice paperweights!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I am trying to envision the equipment and talent required to make a model trilobite prototype, make a mold of that, make molten colored glass material, make the molten glass copy, anneal the glass, then apply dichroic film to the glass trilobite piece. It would take an artisan with deep pockets.

I am trying to envision the equipment and talent required to make a model trilobite prototype, make a mold of that, make molten colored glass material, make the molten glass copy, anneal the glass, then apply dichroic film to the glass trilobite piece. It would take an artisan with deep pockets.

Yeah he has those. :) He makes them for fun and gives them to museum stores for free. I couldnt do that even if I wanted to.

Mikey

led zeppelin

We need to send him some echinoids!

You mean like this? ;)

Mikey

Cast_StarfishGreen_3.25.jpg

Cast_SeaUrchinSputnikGreen_2.5.jpg

Cast_SeaUrchin_2.5.jpg

led zeppelin

Hey my museum has them, although I go in the gift shop every week to see what's new and have never seen them...maybe I can email him.

I was going to give him a call or go over to see him and get some for you guys. First let me figure out how we are gonna work this out before I take orders and request. Robin is not concerned about the $$ but to make it fair and charge something (shipping of course) that works for everyone. I will keep you all posted.

IM ON IT. :)

Mikey

led zeppelin