z10silver

First Attempt At Focus Stacking

z10silver

Just wanted to share my first attempt at focus stacking. These crinoid fossils were found in Sandoval County, NM. The larger fossil on the right measures 12mm in diameter. To get this shot I used my Canon 6D with a 100mm 2.8L macro lens and a tripod. I placed the fossils on a piece of black acrylic (outside) and took a series of 6 photos, each with a slightly different focus area, then I combined the photos in photoshop. Each photo was 1/50 sec, f11, ISO 400, no flash. Any feedback is welcome.

-Zach

12065288094_931691dd06_b.jpg

Size reference:

1536704_10100403932917129_318497866_n.jp

jpc

Nice work... nice little fossils.

So, how do you stack them in PhotoShop?

snolly50

To my eye it's a very pleasing result. Thanks for giving the details of exposure, equipment and set-up. I wish more photos included that type of info. Can you elaborate on stacking via Photoshop?

xonenine

very nice results with 6 photos, it was fascinating reading how the stacking software samples and blends, and I look forward to hearing more of your photoshop method

z10silver

Thanks - No problem. First open Photoshop (I have CS5, not sure how many versions have the focus stacking capability). Go to "File" > "Automate" > "Photomerge."

Make sure to uncheck the box that says "Blend images together." Press "Browse" and add all of the photos you want to stack, then click "OK." In the "Layers" window select all of your photos to stack. Go to "Edit" > "Auto Blend Layers." Make sure "Stack Images" is selected. I also leave "Seamless Tones and Colors" checked. Click "OK."

Depending on the results, your image may need more editing. For example, I found that the stacking also resulted in dust specks in the background becoming more conspicuous, so I cleaned that up.

Hope this helps. Just keep in mind I'm very new to all of this myself, and there are a lot of more detailed guides out there if you need them!

-Zach

xonenine

terrific Zach, I checked and my version goes a few years back,Photoshop CS, but still has this processing method, I will enjoy trying it alongside the CombineZP. :)

thanks,

Carmine

Malcolmt

I would be very pleased if I was capable of doing something as good as this. (which I am not)

snolly50

Zach, thanks for the info on the Photoshop method. Alas, my Photoshop "lite" (Elements 11) does't appear to offer this feature. Again, very nice picture.

Wrangellian

I 2nd what Malcolm said, but I would love to try it if I had the chance. For me money is usually an issue. I guess you have to pay good money for that version?