Ground Shots

Fat Boy

Here are some pics of various ground shots that I've taken this year all rolled into one thread. I just think that these types of pics are fun...enjoy!

Pliocene Yorktown Formation

gallery_907_308_32540.jpg

gallery_907_308_34940.jpg

gallery_907_308_32657.jpg

gallery_907_308_17084.jpg

gallery_907_308_51070.jpg

gallery_907_308_7610.jpg

Paleocene Aquia Formation

gallery_907_281_18402.jpg

I'll add some more later when I have time. Feel free to add your own!

Kevin Wilson

nice shots! i love in situ shots like those.... are all of those shells fossilised?

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Guest bmorefossil
Here are some pics of various ground shots that I've taken this year all rolled into one thread. I just think that these types of pics are fun...enjoy!

I'll add some more later when I have time. Feel free to add your own!

man i wish i could go where you are going!! nice finds

Guest Nicholas

TEETH! I'm currently learning to art of gravel gazing.. under a magnifying glass. Thanks to JohnJ and his Wife I'll be cross eyed and loving it! :P But it is good practice for on site stuff such as this... Thanks for the photos.!

I love playing "Where's Waldo" like that! A five minute fossil hunt when I should be working...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yeah, it's kind of like you're hunting on line, testing your skills. I think that their fun and certainly appreciate the ones that y'all put out there. In the pics that I posted, there's a shark tooth in each one. Ironically, the fake teeth inevitably turn out to be broken modern day mussel or clams shells! Between those and little chunks of fake fossil iron material, I get tired of picking them up. I wind up saying some bad words under my breath (like how dare I get fooled) and hurl them out into the water so I don't pick them up again. As if...like...I'm depleting the supply of fakers...NOT! The same goes true with checking chunks of wood that look like fossil bone fragments, or in the summer reaching down to pick up a drowned bug faking as a shark tooth... ARGGGGHHHH!

But, the vast majority of material that your looking at in the Pliocene stuff is fossil material. In the Paleocene stuff, some of it is fossilized, some not.

Kevin Wilson

Yes, more photos please - in situ pics rule! :D

very cool were you on the Maryland side?

Yep, Maryland side.

Here's a cool one...a trace fossil that had me cracking up. It's my trace snake feeding on other trace fossils! This was from a PA Lake Erie tributary where we were fishing for steelhead.

gallery_907_317_2678.jpg

Kevin Wilson

Another funny thing that goes through my feeble mind while reviewing and posting these pics, what if someone spots a nice tooth that I didn't pick up? I mean, nobody would know if I picked it up or not, and probably I wouldn't remember :blink: .

Just my fossil paranoia :blush:

When I look at other peoples picks, I'm always looking for that other tooth in the photo too. I don't think that I could bring myself to replying to someones thoughtful picture by saying, hey, did you see that meg root lying there in the upper right photo B) I just couldn't do it...

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil
Another funny thing that goes through my feeble mind while reviewing and posting these pics, what if someone spots a nice tooth that I didn't pick up? I mean, nobody would know if I picked it up or not, and probably I wouldn't remember :blink: .

I do that all the time with ground shots from PCS, did you know I found a meg/broken meg in one that the person didnt pick up! Most of the time it is smaller teeth and at the time the person just couldnt see the tooth, its not that they are bad at fossiling its just the tooth didnt want to be found lol

when were you on the maryland side?

My three most recent trips there: That particular tooth was found on 9/20/08. I was also there on 11/5/08 and 11/30/08. I think that I made 6 trips there this year, the most for me in any one year. I guess I got kind of fond of looking for that stuff!

I've only been to the VA side once, and it was as a volunteer for the Girl Scouts years ago when my daughter was one, guiding them on a fossil trip. When we got down to the small beach, one of the scouts found a nice Otodus tooth, one that would make all of us envious. I didn't do much collecting myself, just helping the scouts using my sifters and identifying stuff for them...I did all of the shoveling! I'd love to get back there, but don't really have the means to do it. In short, all of my Paleocene stuff comes from the MD side.

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil
My three most recent trips there: That particular tooth was found on 9/20/08. I was also there on 11/5/08 and 11/30/08. I think that I made 6 trips there this year, the most for me in any one year. I guess I got kind of fond of looking for that stuff!

well if you ever want to go just say, I can go any time after 9am weekdays, lets just not go when its high tide and .6 over!!!!

well if you ever want to go just say, I can go any time after 9am weekdays, lets just not go when its high tide and .6 over!!!!

I hear ya. High tide is a pain in the butt there.

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil
I hear ya. High tide is a pain in the butt there.

yea i had no idea lol, I thought there would be some beach to walk on at least but i found myself walking on top of the cliff sometimes trying to keep out of the water, im sure that it will be good there when the tide goes back down.