Sign in to follow this  
tropicbreezee

Finding Fossils On Our Private Ranch Land, Livermore

tropicbreezee

I have been finding treasures my whole life growing up on our ranch of 600 acres but now I search for the answers. Petrified wood, crystals and what i now know are oyster fossils. Our land is 1,100 ft elevation and this is the site where I am finding A LOT of oyster shells 6-10 inches long 2- 4 inches in thickness weighing 3-5 lbs, and this is just one side. I am just in awe realizing that all of this was once ocean..... I just dont know anything about what im finding or what else I should be looking for, I need help. i will take some pictures and get them posted

Edited by tropicbreezee

mikeymig

Pretty neat huh? The oysters might be Crassostrea gigantissima and I think we all are in awe of fossils and geology. Thats what got me into them when I was a kid. Finding fossil corals 100s of miles from the sea in my own backyard blew my mind.

Mikey

Edited by mikeymig

Triops808

Wow, those Oyster shells sound very impressive! I can't imagine a 10" shellfish. Looking forward to seeing your pictures:)

tropicbreezee

so here are the pics of the some of the shells. i hope quality/size is alright just took them with my phone

post-14297-0-02150700-1390420214_thumb.jpg

post-14297-0-84100700-1390420245_thumb.jpg

post-14297-0-30111300-1390420269_thumb.jpg

post-14297-0-73619000-1390420283_thumb.jpg

post-14297-0-12122800-1390420327_thumb.jpg

post-14297-0-36578200-1390420487_thumb.jpg

post-14297-0-96792800-1390420506_thumb.jpg

post-14297-0-99503600-1390420545_thumb.jpg

post-14297-0-60767600-1390420571_thumb.jpg

Boesse

I wonder which formation this came from - in my own experience, most of the Neogene marine units are already pretty consolidated, but this matrix looks nice and soft. Please keep an eye out for marine mammal bones and teeth! I'm always looking for new marine mammal localities.

Bobby

tropicbreezee

thanks for the info Waucoba thats really nice to here I just wish I knew more and had a better eye,

DPS Ammonite

Nice pictures of fossil Bay area oysters.

PM me with the location and boundaries of the Livermore ranch and where you found the oysters and wood. I can them look at my maps and determine what formations are nearby which will help with the ID of the fossils.

Miocene San Pablo Group and Miocene Briones Formation are possible sources of the oysters. The Miocene Neroly is a source of petrified wood especially north of Mt. Diablo.

The USGS publication: Tertiary Marine Pelecypods Of California and Baja California: Plicatulidae to Ostreidae is helpful. http://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/1228c/reports.pdf I looked for similar oysters and then narrowed down the likely candidates to those that occur in formations near Livermore. Striostrea bourgeoisii bourgeoisie (pages 34-35, plates 25-26) and Striostrea bourgeoisii perinni (page 35, plates 26-27) are both from the Briones Formation while Crassostrea titan (pages 35-37, plates 24, 27-29) occurs in the San Pablo and Cierbo Formations.

We would be happy to look at your fossils and rocks that you found. Bring them to our table. My society, The Northern California Geological Society has a table at the Contra Costa Gem and Mineral Show on Nov 1-2 in Concord where we will be displaying local rocks and fossils and answering questions about Bay area geology. Ask for John.

Cal Oysters short3.pdf

Plantguy

Nice pictures of fossil Bay area oysters.

PM me with the location and boundaries of the Livermore ranch and where you found the oysters and wood. I can them look at my maps and determine what formations are nearby which will help with the ID of the fossils.

Miocene San Pablo Group and Miocene Briones Formation are possible sources of the oysters. The Miocene Neroly is a source of petrified wood especially north of Mt. Diablo.

The USGS publication: Tertiary Marine Pelecypods Of California and Baja California: Plicatulidae to Ostreidae is helpful. http://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/1228c/reports.pdf I looked for similar oysters and then narrowed down the likely candidates to those that occur in formations near Livermore. Striostrea bourgeoisii bourgeoisie (pages 34-35, plates 25-26) and Striostrea bourgeoisii perinni (page 35, plates 26-27) are both from the Briones Formation while Crassostrea titan (pages 35-37, plates 24, 27-29) occurs in the San Pablo and Cierbo Formations.

We would be happy to look at your fossils and rocks that you found. Bring them to our table. My society, The Northern California Geological Society has a table at the Contra Costa Gem and Mineral Show on Nov 1-2 in Concord where we will be displaying local rocks and fossils and answering questions about Bay area geology. Ask for John.

Hey John, thanks for all the info. Somehow I missed you all when I was in school and living in Norcal back in the 80's/90's. I see from your website you are affiliated with AAPG. Since 1944...Again, I must have been asleep...Cool stuff! Wish I could come visit! Regards, Chris

drleob

I was first introduced to these oyster shells when a sophomore at Livermore HS in 1959 and collected one from the Patterson Pass exposure that was 12 inches long and over 6 inches thick, both halves of the shell. My son still has the fossil and we were just out there again today to collect some more. I was told at the time that they were crass. Gigantissima. They're very fragile and often only partially lithified.