Advice On Edisto River Trip

MyrtleBeachSharkTeeth

Hi,

I'm planning an Edisto River fossil hunting trip. It will be my first fossil trip! (Besides beach hunting)

I don't really know what to expect. Where should I look? Do I need to look near gravel or rock beds?Or just anywhere?I'm very excited,any advice or tips is appreciated.

Thanks

I've never hunted the Edisto but rule of thumb is to find the gravel beds. Best of luck and happy hunting.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

I've never hunted the Edisto but rule of thumb is to find the gravel beds. Best of luck and happy hunting.

Thanks for the info. I hope to find my first meg!

Are you going soon? What time of year? The water right now is too high and too cold for anything besides SCUBA diving in a dry suit. If you're going later on in the year when it warms up, you probably want to wait for the water level to drop VERY low for wade in or snorkel, less that 3 feet! You can find the water gauges online. The last I heard, all the good gravel beds were mostly buried under sand because of the flooding last year. I checked for myself and didn't find anything but sand. Rivers change all the time though. If you want, I can connect you with someone who will take you out for a small charge. It might be a good option if you have never gone before.

I am going in the spring, late March to early April. We were thinking about staying in Summerville, but if there is a better spot we're open to suggestions.

Ok, I have dived the Edisto more times then I can remember and you can do good there but you must remember the Edisto is a dangerous river. Are you sifting or diving? wading in or off a boat? You have to watch where you go in at too as some spots are known for crime, both against you and your property. How many in your group?

Now I ma not tryingto scare you away, jsut trying to make you aware that there are BAD people out there.

If you are just wading in a spot, you have to have gravel, you will find your fossils in the gravel beds and like Ken stated, the sand is moving all the time in that river but you want to find gravel. BRing a shovel and a sifter and have at it~!

If you are diving and you have never been on the river before, do yourself a favor and go with an experienced dive boat captain. Like i stated earlier, this river is dangerous when you don't know it, or respect it. Think about it, zero to little viz, a current, downed trees and lets not forget about my favorites alligators and snakes~!

I enjoy diving this river and matter of fact, my avatar is me in the dive boat on the Edisto.

Oh, for those that do not know, Edisto is pronounced "Ed-is-toe" and not "e-diz-toe", I say that becuase I hear it mispronounced all the time.

Are you aware of the Fossil show at Cypress Gardens in Moncks Corner, SC on February the 15th? you should consider going to it becuase there will be quit a few people with displays there that dive/sift the river and a great opportunity to talk to others about your upcoming trip and get some valuable knowledge before hand.

Good luck~!

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

Keep an eye out for the current river level. You can get the information from the usgs website. Look at the history and you will quickly see it varies widely with only the most shallow levels being wade or snorkleable.

Archived