Amazingly Small Osteoderm

Shellseeker

Congrats on your great finds shellseeker!!! You have to have a wonderful collection. :) I enjoyed how other members added their pics on this post too. I think I learned some things! :)

Thank you Shellseeker and MarcoSr. They are ray denticles. Mine look almost ray-denticle (I couldn't resist) like the two you have. The one that remains without comment is this one, which I have taken front and back pics. It is very small, round and concave.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

I hope these other pics help.

This may be part (top or bottom) of a fish or shark vertebra.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

This may be part (top or bottom) of a fish or shark vertebra.

Marco Sr.

That's exactly what that is; and it is shark.

daryl.

Here's my little guy

Thanks JCB -- Your fossil is quite a bit thicker proportionally to the one I originally posted and helps me to add context to Rich's statement on identification

I believe you have may have an osteoderm of Pachyarmatherium leiseyi. It isn't as thick as some of them get to be, but seems thicker than most D. bellus (which is actually Propraopus bellus).

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

No problem Jack, it's neat seeing some more of these.That's the only one in my collection.

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Super topic, all you contributors! Lots of never-before-touched-on (on TFF) info :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey SS, Rich and gang, I missed this thread earlier and its got good stuff. I found one of those little guys as well. I cant find the metric ruler but mine is 3 pennies thick.

post-1240-0-67910600-1391878861_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-09253400-1391878869_thumb.jpg

I also had seen this link to the Florida MNH Vertebrate ID database to which has some great photos for Dasypus comparison.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/vertpaleo/fossilspeciesDasypusbellus.htm

They unfortunately dont have any comparitive link for Pacyarmatherium.

Regards, Chris

Edited by Plantguy

• 5 years later...
On 1/28/2014 at 10:37 PM, Shellseeker said:

Thanks for all responses, and especially Rich -- I make assumptions on minimal data and as you might guess, I am frequently wrong. I thought that this fossil was Glyptodon.

I have these two recently ---

post-2220-0-79831500-1390966592_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-09741400-1390966617_thumb.jpg

What are they?

EDIT: I did hunt today within 1 mile of Paynes Creek Park which is one of the few sites for Pachyarmatherium leiseyi. Just additional info Rich

Jack, I don't know if you got your answer but I purchased similar osteoderms. They were found in N. Florida, Pleistocene and he said they were Holmesina Septentrionalis, not Glytodon. Here is the pic.

image.jpeg.2d97e9803f7a3838b53dc50dd9e328dd.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

Jack, I don't know if you got your answer but I purchased similar osteoderms. They were found in N. Florida, Pleistocene and he said they were Holmesina Septentrionalis, not Glytodon. Here is the pic.

This is a very interesting thread and covers many different, but related animals:  In the Peace River , we commonly find Glyptodon osteoderms and Armadillo osteoderms. The 2 animals are related.

This is generally agreed to be Gyyptotherium Floridanum: I have found these frequentlyup to the size of baseball.

a16f5GlyptodonOsteoderms.thumb.jpg.8737ceafa523144caef24c57bbc731d0.jpg

This is Armadillo: You have many that look like this.  I find a lot of them.ArmadilloCM.JPG.ca02f930f145c1a1b6c9e8ff237874b0.JPG

The discussion in this thread is what is this fossil found near Payne Creek Park.  Is it Glyptodon or Armadillo ?  Turns out it is Armadillo... I am certain that my photo on the right matches your Armadillo scutes, but what about the photo on the left?.

On 2/8/2014 at 12:03 PM, Plantguy said:

Hey SS, Rich and gang, I missed this thread earlier and its got good stuff. I found one of those little guys as well. I cant find the metric ruler but mine is 3 pennies thick.

post-1240-0-67910600-1391878861_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-09253400-1391878869_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"