Newbie Wondering About Sieves Etc.

La87

So I'm a total newbie when it comes to hunting for fossils, and since I now live in the Netherlands with the beach rather close by, I'd like to really get going with trying to find fossils of various kinds, or just some other interesting stuff.

What Ive understood is that I need a sieve to sift the sand.. But I'm not sure how big (or small) the meshes should be... besides sieves, would I need something else? Dont know if it would be a good idea to place something underneath the sieve, in case something small falls between the meshes?

Sampling your sites through progressively smaller meshes might be the best way to conclude the optimal size(s). In the U.S., 'hardware cloth' is readily available in 1/2", 1/4", and 1/8" mesh; test with what is easily available to you. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Most of the fossils from Dutch coastal locations are washed out of the Brown Beds of the North Sea so don't take much sieving, just finding. Some sites give limited access to rather muddy deposits with shark teeth. On these ones I would suggest wet sieving with 2 sieves, the top one with a 10mm mesh and a 2mm mesh on the bottom. the fossils will gather between the sieves. Sieving a sandy beach in The Netherlands probably won't build up a big collection.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge :)

Gonna get me the stuff I need later this month, but at least now I know a little bit more about what sizes to use.

La87, have you considered finding local fossil hunting clubs?

In my experience, mutual interest seems all that is needed for people to share the knowledge and love of fossil hunting.

Good luck to you, but fair warning....it's the hobby your mother warned you about: very addicting.