Two Odd Features In Tully Limestone

Mediospirifer

A couple of weeks ago, during a brief January thaw, I collected several pounds of Tully limestone from a local creekbed. When I went to clean the mud off, I found that some pieces had an odd, bumpy texture that I'm not familiar with, and other pieces had a black coating that looked like a coat of paint. Except that I've never found paint inside a rock before!

Here's one of the textured pieces:

Top:

post-12648-0-14621900-1391034474_thumb.jpg

Top showing edge detail:

post-12648-0-39847600-1391034478_thumb.jpg

One side:

post-12648-0-49054500-1391034468_thumb.jpg

Bottom:

post-12648-0-95003300-1391034462_thumb.jpg

I'll post another side and a different piece in the next post.

Here's the front side of the previous piece:

post-12648-0-50289900-1391034924_thumb.jpg

Here are some photos of the second textured piece:

Top:

post-12648-0-54917600-1391034974_thumb.jpg

Front:

post-12648-0-88702700-1391034979_thumb.jpg

Side:

post-12648-0-07200500-1391034984_thumb.jpg

More rocks to come!

Here's a piece showing the black layer. Note the area in the middle when a little bit of peeling is visible:

post-12648-0-15920700-1391035174_thumb.jpg

And the bottom of the same piece:

post-12648-0-74761700-1391035180_thumb.jpg

One more post to come!

This is a piece that looked like it had a layer of the black coating through it. The rock was thin enough that I was able to break it along the layer, and the black coating did indeed go all of the way through.

Here's the broken edges of the two (unequal) halves:

post-12648-0-94426600-1391035322_thumb.jpg post-12648-0-09574000-1391035313_thumb.jpg

And here's the top of both pieces in close to their original relative positions:

post-12648-0-94213200-1391035318_thumb.jpg

I'll be interested to hear what these might be!

Parts of the Tully Limestone incorporate thin sheets of encrustation within the sedimentology which also exhibit features resembling shrinkage cracks. I think they're now generally accepted to be silty biofilms of a stromatolitic nature from algae and micro-organisms in areas that represented shallow intertidal lagoon environments or terrestrial-to-marine transition zones. I wonder if that's what you have there?

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

At first glance I want to say speleothem but if it didn't come from a cave then maybe not.

The black film I think is called a "Styolite" which form as pressure forces solutions through micro fractures in a rock. Often the black stuff is Bitumen which is a naturally occurring form of Petroleum. This webpage explains it better than I can.

• I found this Informative 1

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

We had a January thaw? :blink:

I'd like to get out to my collecting spot, again, but I'm not going to shovel snow and risk frostbite to do it.

At first glance I want to say speleothem but if it didn't come from a cave then maybe not.

The black film I think is called a "Styolite" which form as pressure forces solutions through micro fractures in a rock. Often the black stuff is Bitumen which is a naturally occurring form of Petroleum. This webpage explains it better than I can.

Hadn't thought of that. Black films of that type are also known as "bitumenous partings". If you can flake a small piece off it, put a flame to it on the end of a penknife blade. If it's bitumenous you'll soon know from the odour and the smoke.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Hadn't thought of that. Black films of that type are also known as "bitumenous partings". If you can flake a small piece off it, put a flame to it on the end of a penknife blade. If it's bitumenous you'll soon know from the odour and the smoke.

Interesting. I'll have to try that. There are certainly bits that I could flake off.

I should also mention that I collected the pieces as a potential micromatrix. I have a handful of small pieces soaking in vinegar, including a couple with the black layer. When I last drained the vinegar and probed at the black layer with a needle, it had softened a bit. I can easily imagine it to be a petroleum material.

We had a January thaw? :blink:

I'd like to get out to my collecting spot, again, but I'm not going to shovel snow and risk frostbite to do it.

OK, it wasn't much of a thaw, but we did have 3 or 4 days in the upper 30s. That was enough to melt most of the snow. I think it was around 40o when I went to look at the site I was thinking of, and saw that the creekbed was (partly) reachable and dry. :D I wasn't going to do any slope climbing, though, so most of the site wasn't reachable. And the water the rocks were sitting in was FREEZING!

I didn't stay long, just enough to collect what was loose and easily reachable. Above freezing or not, it was still cold!

looks like a "fish scale" from an armored fish, they could be quite large. [actually, plate]

That did occur to me, but I don't know what to look for to confirm or disprove it. How thick would a plate be? Some broken edges seem to show an indistinct layer that's a little redder that the rest of the matrix, others don't.

It's either a new fossil for me, or a really weird weathering pattern. I'm not sure what to look for to tell which.

When the weather warms up again, I plan to go back to the site where I found it. I'll have to see if there's any more of it around.