Custom Wood Display ? Case, Cabinet.....what?

Midnight Contender

Please help me name this piece of furniture. Is it a chest, a cabinet, a case, a cupboard? What is it? post-14249-0-43922100-1391132278_thumb.jpgpost-14249-0-59543400-1391132297_thumb.jpg

This was inspired by an antique piece my father found in a workshop of a retired architect. He refurbished it into a showpiece for his bride; for it was a family heirloom.

Shrek thought it would make a great display (?) for our fossils. My father is a master carpenter, and has made many custom pieces from imagination alone. Our dining room where this (?) will go has a grandfather clock, curio shelf, dining table, and large bookshelf all custom made of cherry by my Dad. Yes, I'm fluffing my feathers.

So here I am, excited as all get out for my almost completed ?

The original sample was much deeper, had the large drawers at the top, and a solid top. We have larger fossils to put in deep drawers, but most of our finds are micro fossils. Consequently, we had him put the large drawers on the bottom.

Also, my idea was to have a glass top: a glass top that never needed to be removed. I wanted to be able to slide the top drawer open and put our latest, greatest finds in whenever we wanted with no fuss.

After a quick month goes by, here you see the almost completed ?

I am to go over to his workshop on Sunday to discuss the glass top.

It's not a cabinet, a cupboard, a case, a highboy, a caisson, a chiffasomething (found on thesaurus).

So, what is it?

Thanks for looking.

I've seen map chests or map drawers used for smaller fossils. Are the drawers like that? Regardless very nice!!!

Thanks Lissa

Display drawer? It has more than one.

Display chest? It doesn't have a lid.

Display cabinet? it doesn't have doors.

Nothing seems to fit. Especially after installing the glass top. (Which Shrek suggested to get etched in the corners with miniature gators, palms, etc.).

My second love is the English language, but obviously, I'm not well versed enough to name a display something.

Ahhh, I see. After viewing the pic, you may be right.

One can only assume I was looking for a name with some opulence. Teehee.

I've had that problem too - have even built a few of them but I still don't know if there is a proper term for this kind of unit. Map drawers/cabinets might not quite apply as their drawers can be quite large in area and too flimsy for rocks, but that is one search term to use. I have also seen 'flat file' cabinet but this term also seems to imply use for paper and may not be good for heavy rocks etc unless it's made of metal. I also use 'shallow drawers' as a search term, but in all my searching I have never come across a definitive term.

BTW I'm not sure a chest has to have a lid if it's a 'chest of drawers'.

I sure am glad some one else had trouble naming their custom made "thingie."

I was hoping with such a diversity of people, someone would provide a name for it. "Unit" seems like such a utilitarian name, but considering what it holds.

Thanks, JCP. Although disappointed with the unromantic name, I think you nailed it.

I will get some better pictures on Sunday. My poor father was dismayed I posted pics before it was finished. I'm a girl, I was excited.

NIce Fossil Storage Unit

+1

Or, if you want to amaze your friends/stun your enemies, a paleontological specimen containment system :P .

Steve

similar units are used by printers as "plate" cabinets. Storing metal plates for thee presses, they are usually built very sturdy, most can be had for next to nothing when found available.

yours is a very handsome cross between a plate chest and map chest to me, fine piece :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

In my humble opinion it is a paleontological affectation treasury. :-D

So sophisticated and romantic. Now it is just being able to say it!

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Ah, Plate chest, thanks Carmine, I have heard of such cabinets used by printers but didn't know the proper name - that term will be added to my searches!

In the antique trade these are called collectors cabinets, most commonly designed for coins and insects but antique dealers don't care what used to be in them.

In my humble opinion it is a paleontological affectation treasury. :-D

So sophisticated and romantic. Now it is just being able to say it!

Ohhhh, I love it, love it, love it. Exactly what I was looking for.

Yet again; I placed my faith in TFF members, and of course, they pulled through. Bev, you are a star.

I will take better pictures tomorrow, and then I'm hoping for advice about fabric? felt? foam? To layer in the bottom of the drawer.

Most of our finds are Peace River, Florida stuff, mostly black, no, wait; ebony, (more sophisticated).

Any suggestions would be welcome, but I will post better pics and dimensions tomorrow.

In the antique trade these are called collectors cabinets, most commonly designed for coins and insects but antique dealers don't care what used to be in them.

I think the ones for coins/insects - even some of the printers' units - tend to have really shallow drawers, no? (Too shallow for most fossils other than small stuff and thin Green River -type plates) I have a metal-cased wooden-drawer unit that I think was for printers, the drawers are about 1 3/8" deep inside so I use it for smaller/flatter stuff. I will always keep my eyes out for more but I find there is little that is ideal for rock/fossil storage, necessitating home-built solutions.

I will take better pictures tomorrow, and then I'm hoping for advice about fabric? felt? foam? To layer in the bottom of the drawer.

I use felt or something similar. I do not glue it to the bottoms though you could do that - I like to be able to pull it out or put it back in depending on what I've got in there, and it mostly sticks OK to the unfinished wooden surface without gluing it down. I wouldn't use foam unless you know it to be 'archival' foam that will not degrade.

I was just looking at volara. I found it on a museum supply site. Does anyone have thoughts on this medium?

I went to consult on the final aspects of my Paleontological Affection Treasury today.

Sorry, no pictures. Dad said, no way, it's not finished. He's a proud carpenter.

I'm going to nickname it PAT, after the lovable character on SNL (Saturday Night Live). Try saying Paleontological Affectation Treasury three times fast. I have difficulty distinguishing and classifying some of our finds, so I thought it befitting and apt because I really don't care what it is, it is beautiful anyway.

Again, thank you Bev, you rooted the idea; not only is it now sophisticated and romantic, but also politically correct.

We have changed the idea of a plain glass top to a 5" deep glass frame all around top. We sort of gave him an idea and he will think on it. So very cool to have something custom made. (He's been doing custom work for years, but I've been spare with my requests because he already gave me the love of the outdoors, can you ask for more?)

Don't intend to babble, but I'm very excited. My father's custom woodwork blows me away.

PAT, there you go.

(Affection or Affectation?)

The woodworking looks pretty good.

I can't be too picky as I'm mostly relying on my dad and a friend to help me, so I don't really care what mine look like as long as they work, and I need more than one...

Consider the "grass-like" carpet you can get - very inexpensive version of astroturf. I love it in my shallow drawered specimen cabinet. Why???

It looks rather natural.

Just cut and fit.

Sand goes thru it.

Lifts out for easy cleaning - take outside and shake.

Seems to keep most of the fossils where I put them.

Provides padding for the fossils.

Will contrast nicely with ebony.

Glad you liked the name. :-D

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Archived