Not Sure What This Fossil Is... Seed, Nut?

kydustinj

I found this while fossil hunting yesterday. The exposure I was hunting in is close to a creek shore, and it's obvious the water level rises to its height by the rounding of the nearby stones and the fossil itself (evident on its backside). Other finds in the same area included mostly coral and brachiopods, as well as pieces of coal. I'm no expert on fossils, but when I found this the first thought was a nut shell or seed. But, I know you don't find nuts during this time period fossilized, especially anything this size, and I can't even tell what type of modern day nut it resembles. I then thought it was possibly the underside of a shell, but it has two distinct protrusions inside which twist together, again resembling the inside of some type of nut or seed. Basically, I don't know what this is and would appreciate the help or thoughts. Thanks

post-14367-0-78452700-1391211993_thumb.jpg

post-14367-0-98332400-1391212223_thumb.jpg

post-14367-0-29322700-1391212359_thumb.jpg

post-14367-0-19468000-1391212818_thumb.jpg

If the specimen was found in Fayette Co. it has to be Ordovician in age since there are no other rocks of ay other age even in adjacent counties. That means it could not be a seed or nut since they did not exist that early. It could be a brachiopod that was altered by phosphate. Phosphate nodules are not real common in Fayette Co

If it was not found there let us know and it might give a clue to what it is. Also you would not find teeth in the Ordovician either.

ironstone concretion to me also. Nice pix.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

That would make it Mississippian or Pennsylvanian in age. Although seeds where around as well as shark teeth, They both would be fairly rare but not unheard of. I really can't tell from the picture what it could be except a iron stone nodule. They are very common in Mississippian & Pennsylvanian units in Eastern KY. If you were finding other marine fossils with it would very likely not be a seed.

Archived