Singapore Fossil Collectors Events In 2013

-Andy-

Hi all, 2013 has been an interesting year for many fossil collectors. Since the Singapore community is so small, we have regular meet-ups and trading sessions with one another.

Here I would like to share on the delightful events we had for the last quarter of 2013.

Firstly, there is an ongoing exhibition at the Singapore Science Center called 'Titans of the Past', which is set up by Jack Horner and his talented team.

The Singapore Fossil Collectors group was invited by the Science Center to give a talk on dinosaurs and paleontology for a dinosaur-science camp. Imagine our surprise at how knowledgeable the kids (aged 9-12) were, even knowing facts like Amphicoelias being the largest known dinosaur based on fragmented remains, and Argentinosaurus being the largest confirmed sauropod. Or that Eoraptor was one of the earliest dinosaurs.

Other events to continue on below posts.

post-4888-0-34047000-1391265792_thumb.jpg

post-4888-0-32066300-1391265799_thumb.jpg

post-4888-0-14263100-1391265796_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Next up, a brief look at the 'Titans of the Past' exhibition.

We were glad to have Plai, an experienced fossil collector from Thailand whom we met at the Fossil Forums to join us as we went through the exhibit.

post-4888-0-55703000-1391266227_thumb.jpg

post-4888-0-02557200-1391266231_thumb.jpg

post-4888-0-25233100-1391266234_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Next up, we brought Plai to Cliff's impressive fossil art gallery.

post-4888-0-75725400-1391266354_thumb.jpg

Some of Cliff's amazing Green River collection

post-4888-0-31232300-1391266357_thumb.jpg

His displays were so pleasing to the eye

post-4888-0-78960400-1391266359_thumb.jpg

Cliff discussing with Calvin about how he came to acquire some of his specimens

post-4888-0-72900800-1391266362_thumb.jpg

The group of us posing under Cliff's champion piece, his Trionyx from Green River.

As Plai wouldn't be staying in Singapore long, we hopped on the train immediately and brought him on a quick visit to some of our own collections at home.

post-4888-0-94109100-1391266529_thumb.jpg

Calvin's

post-4888-0-04648300-1391266534_thumb.jpg

Mine

post-4888-0-79395700-1391266537_thumb.jpg

Han's

Finally, to usher in the New Year, a group of us gathered at my place on Dec 29th for a final trading session!

post-4888-0-59562900-1391266609_thumb.jpg

Evaluating some of the fossils on trade

post-4888-0-72446900-1391266612_thumb.jpg

Calvin's big box of fossils which he brought to sell/trade/exchange

post-4888-0-66803000-1391266615_thumb.jpg

Some of the pieces I traded that day

Well that's all for 2013 folks!

If you are dropping by Singapore, do let us know!

Awesome report as usual Andy.

You guys always look like you have a lot of fun when you meet up.

Who is who in the photos?

Really awesome photos. I especially like the Triceratops growth stages photo.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

2013 was a great year for our group as we had many opportunities to share the world of Paleontology with schools/programmes in the country. It was heartening to see the kids embrace the wonders of prehistoric life as Paleontology is not viewed as a pragmatic choice of study(or even an interest) here. So far we already had an excellent start to 2014 with the opening of another exhibition from AMNH, Monash University, and San Juan National Science Museum, please feel free to view photos from this amazing event here:

Facebook Album(140! photos).

For Down Under Fossil Hunter, I am the one wearing a black shirt and holding the Drotops armatus in this post! :)

The Singaporean Fossil Collectors Group, come join us here today!

Hey, great report with awesome photos, Andy!

It was certainly the most fossils-fun-filled day for me. You guys were all great hosts. Really appreciated showing me around the local exhibits and to get the tour of some of the most impressive fossils man cave and collections I have seen :D

U guys have a great group going and will be looking forward to meet u guys again when I have a chance to visit Singapore next time.

Oh and I am the guy with the spiky hair with a v-neck green shirt in the pics (the one right underneath the green river turtle lol) ;)

I love the Singapore style cabinets of curiosities. Very old school with modern specimens, artifacts and curios mixed in with the fossils. Thanks for posting those pics.

Your collections must be pretty impressive (and they are from what I can see) considering the things you offer to trade with each other! I like the 'cabinets of curiosities' too.

Thanks for the kind comments.

We are glad you like our collections. We have more members here with some really amazing displays which we shall post in the near future.

Next up, a brief look at the 'Titans of the Past' exhibition.

We were glad to have Plai, an experienced fossil collector from Thailand whom we met at the Fossil Forums to join us as we went through the exhibit.

attachicon.gif3.jpg

attachicon.gif7.jpg

attachicon.gif24.jpg

I am the guy with specs in blue.

2013 was a great year for our group as we had many opportunities to share the world of Paleontology with schools/programmes in the country. It was heartening to see the kids embrace the wonders of prehistoric life as Paleontology is not viewed as a pragmatic choice of study(or even an interest) here. So far we already had an excellent start to 2014 with the opening of another exhibition from AMNH, Monash University, and San Juan National Science Museum, please feel free to view photos from this amazing event here:

Facebook Album(140! photos).

For Down Under Fossil Hunter, I am the one wearing a black shirt and holding the Drotops armatus in this post! :)

A great photo set, Thank you

I need to correct this post of mine. Your Museum has a spectacular display, it makes our city Museum look like a, home garage display.

Archived